Hi everyone! New diver from Long Island NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving for 44 years, 10 of those years I worked as a commercial diver. The Blue Heron Bridge dive would be the best shore dive option. There are three reef lines running along the shore on the ocean side but if I remember correctly they are a little too far off shore for you to swim out to them. I dive the same waters you do so when I get to a place where the water is warm with 100' visibility I try to maximize my bottom time by staying shallow. When I dive the Keys I go exclusively to the shallow reefs in the 30'-40' range, the light & visibility are better, there is more sea life and the dives are more relaxed. Enjoy your trip.

Hi everyone and thank you again for the additional warm welcomes! So.....I FINALLY got my dives in....60' dive in Riviera Beach through Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures, paired up with Marc who was my guide on both dives. At first, like all newcomers, I got very nervous when the captain yelled "Dive dive dive!" and everyone lined up and started jumping in. With that said, I must have sucked down have my air tank at the surface LOL. But as soon as I started to go down, I started to see what all of you are already accustomed to: the ABSOLUTE beauty and tranquility of this other world. I was completely mesmerized and was checking out everything in site, like a little kid in a candy store. I forgot all about the fact that I was sinking 60' down, thinking to myself "OMG this is really happening and I'm breathing and I'm alive!" (In more ways than one). Marc stayed with me the entire time on our first dive. I kept going over in my head the skills I learned, tried to slow down my breathing (from fear to over-excitement) but my first dive only last 26 minutes from surface to surface. I came back on the boat ESTATIC and did not want to come back up!! I was tempted to grab my 2nd tank and dive right back in again!

The 2nd dive I was much calmer and lasted 42 of an allowed 45 minutes....I pictured myself in one of the most beautiful salt water aquariums I have ever seen, but now multiply the size of it by infinity, remove the aquarium walls and now I am a guest in this world. I saw lion fish, a bat fish, and so many others I can sadly only name from Watching Nemo (LOL - I did pick up a book that describes the various sea life in the Carribbeans and Florida)....didn't see any shark, manta rays, turtles or dolphins, but was completely in a trance with everything else I saw. The water was a very nice 77 degrees, only needed a 3mm wetsuit and everything else worked perfectly. The 2nd dive, Marc saw I was comfortable enough to swim on my own. He went a LITTLE ahead but kept looking back every so often to make sure I was okay. ONLY issue I had was my 3 minute stop at 15', need to work on that a little more but buoyancy was spot on: I was gliding 1 foot off the bottom, maneuvering up to avoid taller coral then manuevering back down. I was reaching out to schools of fish and following them, some of them even appeared to look at me saying "what's up?" LOL like I said I was a little kid in a candy store, still excited while I am writing this novel.

I am very much looking forward to continuing diving. I apologize for the long thread, but want to assure anyone interested in scuba diving or that has any doubts/fears like I did: you are in good hands and the skills you learn will self-apply and you will be in another world, surrounded by serenity and just absolute magnificance.

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU that provided me some great advice, both on and off this forum. I have signed up for a Grand Cayman trip with my scuba shop in April and am counting the days until I'm in the water again! :)

Eric

Hi everyone,

Update I am counting down the days to my Grand Cayman trip: April 3rd to the 6th I am flying down with my crew from Seascapes USA in Syosset NY to dive in what I am reading about even clearer and more beautiful waters than I saw in Florida.

I am bumping this thread for all those new to diving or curious. I say what's on my mind, so read how nervous I was in the beginning and how I feel about diving now. I LOVED my dives and want to do this over and over again! Just stick to the basics, remember your basic skills and hand signals and you will be fine. Oh yeah and 60 feet? Once you get in the water and start to slowly descend, you'll quickly forget about that when the underwater world starts becoming clearer and clearer. 60 feet? HA give me more! :)

Eric

Nice to meet you.

Happy to see your Florida dives went well.

As a new diver myself, in my short experience, I found practicing neutral buoyancy and controlling my distance from the floor/reef and other objects using my lungs is paramount when first starting out. By focusing on this, I am using less air which is increasing my bottom time.

Have fun diving in Grand Cayman, let us know how it went.

Last edited:
Morning All ~~~ I'm an old guy living the ex-pat life on Utila, a diving mecca of sorts. I've been here for years, dive when I want, play when I want, work when I want, and do what my wife wants. <g>

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I've posted on the board, figured I'd provide an update of my Grand Cayman trip. First off, the place is BEAUTIFUL. Now this is coming from someone who has been to Florida a lot, but never to a Carribean location/island etc. GC blew me away: the weather, the people were very nice, so relaxing, the water temp was a steady 80 degrees, visibility super clear, light blue clear water and white sand.

First dive: went right to it, 107' deep!! Swam through some caverns, saw so many different species of fish, what stood out were the Tarpon...HUGE!!!
Second dive: wreck dive, 67'
Third dive: shore dive
Fourth dive: night dive. AWESOME!!

Fifth dive: 96' deep dive
Sixth dive: another wreck dive, USS Kittiwake 65' deep

Haven't dove since, DYING to get back out there! Fears/worries are ALL GONE! Well....except for sharks....lol :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom