Hi from warm and toasty Az!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I'm Dan. I'm a new diver, having just got my OW cert in August of this year. I've got seven dives under my belt, and so far I am really happy that I finally bit the bullet and finally got certified after having wanted to do it for most (if not all) of my adult life. I decided to go ahead and purchase pretty much all of my gear. Being "not small," meant that I opted for a Henderson 3X wetsuit (actually two - 3mm and 7mm), kit, fins, mask, and an electric purple tank. (Hey, I love purple). So far, I've only been diving at Lake Pleasant and San Diego, and I'm looking forward to diving in other locations as well.

I'm a software engineer for my "day job" in addition to working on bootstrapping a robotics startup.
(Yes, I'm really 54 and have a mohawk... Hey, when you get my age, if you have enough hair for a mohawk, you should have one... And yes, I know, smoking cigars and scuba diving don't exactly go well together.)

Welcome to the dive world Dan. I'm glad you finally realized your long desire for scuba diving. It is a great sport, hobby, passion, however you want to describe it. Those of us that live in Phoenix have it pretty good actually for being in the middle of the desert. I enjoy LP because of the varying types of dives we get to do. And when we want to go salty, it isn't too far of a drive to dive.
Keep diving, with that 7mm you can still get in plenty of dives this year at LP. I just went last weekend and the off shore viz is improving fast.
Have you had a chance to go out on one of the charter boats?
If you are ever looking for a dive buddy give me a shout. I am free many Fridays and Saturdays.
Rick

Welcome to the AZ dive scene. We actually have a fair bit going on in the state. As for Lake Pleasant, it gets better. Winter/spring it cools off and clears up. There is some neat stuff to see once you get a bunch more dives under your belt. The old dam is a real cool thing to dive, but it can be tricky as if you go crashing to the bottom you can be over 200' down.

San Diego is my other go to spot, although I have not made it there this year. Lots to experience there. Good stuff up in the Long Beach / Catalina area as well.

Fun little spot up on Lake Mohave.

The Salt river lakes are well known for poor visibility. Wish that wasn't the case. But at least the freeway system is pretty good at getting you where you need to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom