Hiding behind your screen name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an FYI, I've found some of my Scubaboard posts (by accident) by doing searches through Copernic etc. It's amazing how fast the crawlers pick this stuff up.
I bashed a famous truck rental company once and the post has been out there for several years.

wstein:
Bring the beer.

OH you brute I thought you had class and drank wine. Well I can come down if you can come up.

Nice to meet someone with a sense of humor on the board.
David

Curt Bowen:
Why is it that many of the members here on the Scuba Board do not put their real name in their profile? Every time I look to see whom I am speaking with other than, mickey mouse, some cartoon drawing, or a photo of a fish I find no real name on their profile.

Do you not have your real name posted because your afraid of someone knowing who you are or does this provide a smoke screen so you can flame others about diving in which you really have no experience or knowledge about and your playing a guru internet diver.

Most of us are here because we love this sport and wish to interact with others with the same interest. I would like to see more divers post their real names so I know who the heck I am speaking with. I think it also adds credibility to your posts.

Maybe even a photo of your self would be good also.

To take this a step further, why is your home address and telephone number not in your profile?

This is a public forun on the internet. Lets not provide the spammers and evil-doers any more ammunition than they have.

But, as you know, you are all free to have my first name...It is somewhere in my screen name...(!!)

And, if whether you have someone's name or not is the threshold criteria as to your evaluation of their credibility, please feel free to disregard all of my posts.

Let me ask you this...Would it help if my screen name was Tom Stevens, and I have a picture of my family doctor in my profile? I think credibility is built up over time and isn't something that comes because you see what you think my name is in my profile.

Yep...I'm a guru internet diver...until I head down to Monterey again soon. :)

cdiver2 wrote:

"... I always thought I looked s*xy in my speedos."

As my daughter would say, "Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwww ! ! ! ! That's just WRONG!!!"

What do you mean? This is my real name. :wink:

SueMermaid:
What do you mean? This is my real name. :wink:

To quote dean weeder, "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life!" But oh what a ride it can be! :eyebrow:

paul

cdiver2:
OH you brute I thought you had class and drank wine. Well I can come down if you can come up.

Are you trying to say I am some kinda low brow kinda guy!!! :11: I have you to know I drink only the finest wine......MAD DAWG 20/20 baby!!!! :eyebrow: Straight up outa the paper bag no less.

Paul

Two easy way to do this :) Download zonealarm ( www.zonelabs.com ) and upgrade to the pro version. I'm not a big fan of software firewalls myself so the other option would be picking up a d-link (or other brand) router. This will handle port/IP masking out of the box (read: little real config required). Keep in mind that most firewall configs DO NOT prevent spyware/trojans etc from infecting the computer, however they will prevent them from allowing access and sending out personal info. Two programs, adaware (www.lavasoftus.com) and spybot (www.download.com) are great tools for cleaning up spyware. The above coupled with an AV app will cover most of your bases. I'd be happy to give you more details in a PM or new thread.

As for the screen name??? Who know, who cares? I didn't because as an old school IT guy it's just in my nature. When meeting scubaboard people I use my real name, I sign PM's with it and anyone diving with me can copy my license plate from the car (if they are really curious). I think my attitude is why the heck do you care? Who the heck are you that I should give you my name? I don't flame people and I really do try to live up to the following... If I wouldn't say it to your face, I will NOT type it.

cdiver2:
Colin we are not all computer suave but it do's not mean that we can throw all caution to the wind. We do what we can to protect our selfs from the unsavory characters of this world. How about you tell us how to do IP masking, closed ports etc. I for one would love to know. I would even buy you a drink or two.
David

The Kracken:
cdiver2 wrote:

"... I always thought I looked s*xy in my speedos."

As my daughter would say, "Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwww ! ! ! ! That's just WRONG!!!"

That was Westein's first reaction and now look at us. I think your jealous :11: Don't blame me because your daughter has no taste :wink: I'm color coordinated when I were them, purple is my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom