• The better the vis, the higher off the bottom

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • It depends on why I'm down there

Votes: 69 36.3%
  • I don't care; I just like to vote in polls

Votes: 18 9.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha, I didnt spend all kinds of dives perfecting buoancy control, proper finning and position in the water to hover 5-10 feet above the bottom. Im within inches of the bottom always! : D

I like being on the deck. I find a lot of photo ops there. The distance depends on the surge and vis, but 1 or 2 feet from the bottom seems to be my comfort zone. I do a lot of frog-kicking to avoid silt kicking up.

Jon

I picked "it depends". In the bad viz that we often get here in BC, I am usually very close to the bottom. It gives me a reference.

When I was in Cozumel in 100+ of viz, it didnt really matter to me. Somtimes I'd get close to the bottom to examine things, but I was equally comfortable 5,10, even 15 feet up from the bottom. So I guess it depends on how much viz there is.

Bottom composition is a huge factor. Some places can take a little stir. Mermet is really silty and you can't do a thing near the bottom without a siltout. I dropped a fin off the dock there and when it hit the bottom the cloud was huge. Going to get it was fun too.

Im usually within an arms length of the bottomn..
If its easy to silt up the bottomn, I tend to keep a little further above the bottomn, especially if there is more people than just me and my buddy out there. Out of mere respect for the other divers. If I kick some dirt up behind me and my buddy, its not my visibility i mess up, but the one of other people..

He Do_it_easy, I am assuming you are talking about Haigh. Bet you had a beautiful day on Sunday! Too Bad I couldn't make it out for closing day.

Me I'm close to the bottom. I like the macro stuff and thats where all the little critters are. Your not going to see those banded cleaner shrimps from 5 or 10ft off the reef.

Best to stay off the bottom until your buoyancy and fin techniques are good. Nothing like swimming behind people who stay close to the bottom with poor technique.

Would be interested to find the correlation between how close people dive to the bottom, and what their finning technique and bouyancy control is:

- "I like to come down like a ton of bricks, swim close to the bottom, flutter kick like a madman, and silt the whole place up."

- "I know my finning technique and bouyancy control sucks, so I stay a bit up off the bottom, so I don't kill the viz for everyone else."

- "I have good trim, bouyancy control, and can frog kick effectively so I'm comfortable getting closer to the bottom without ruining the viz for everyone else."

:)

It depends on the dive. Typically I am near the bottom, slowly frog kicking along. If I'm in a high flow cave I tend to be near the top (or where ever the flow is less).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom