• The better the vis, the higher off the bottom

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • It depends on why I'm down there

Votes: 69 36.3%
  • I don't care; I just like to vote in polls

Votes: 18 9.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a dive about a week ago where we stayed 600' above the bottom. :D

How close or far from the bottom do you like to be ? and what factors affect it?

As far away as possible.....

and what factors affect it?

How tight is the cave.....

I'm bottom dweller - its where the action is.

I have several dive buddies that prefere the "death from above" diving style. I can't tell you how much I hate it. I try not to dive with these people. I spen way too much time looking around for them the first half of the dive, and on the second half of the dive I just pray I don't need their gas. Their excuse is always the same, "I see more from up here..."

Uh, you really don't. You see wider, but you don't see MORE.

Deflate the BC, learn to kick, get horizontal and join the rest of us. I prefer my back up gas supply by my side, thank you very much.

OY!

---
Ken

It all depends on what mood im in and my purpose for the day. I like to take good look around from a distance (depends on vis) then move in close to exploit whatever it is that I spy (trinkets, fish, etc).

I always prefer to be close to the bottom...hehehe Now that is strictly to see stuff in clear water. In low viz, I stay close to the bottom and try to ascend with a reference. I really dont enjoy being in mid-water with low viz conditions.

With the Viz the way it is in the PNW, and with the abundance of small bottom dwellers, if I was 5 - 10 feet off the bottom, I would see a whole lot of nothing, unless you count the water as seeing something.

At least at the sites I dive, I think you would be missing out on a ton of critters if you were that far off the bottom.

Tim

I like being real close
you can't see all the little critters if you're not close :D

I'm usually closed to the bottom, it's easier to find the interesting stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom