Hints for packing for first liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a skin which helps with both getting a wet suit on, and protecting the Achilles area of my foot where the bootie stitching rubs. Well, it also prevent blindness in other passengers by preventing my unsuntanned body from being too exposed but that's for another thread... Having tried, I found it tough to find many good booties for warm water diving. Boots are all full out shoes with soles or sock type things.

Going on first liveaboard trip. What hints do you have for preparation?

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

After many liveaboard trips, my buddy and I have it down to not much more than:
1.) The clothes we are wearing
2.) The clothes that are hanging up to dry
3.) Toothbrush and toothpaste
4.) Ipad/kindle/ipod/whatever
5.) Dive gear

For your first trip though, try this approach:

1.) Pack everything you think you need into your suitcase
2.) Remove half of what's in your suitcase
3.) Remove half of what is left in your suitcase.
4.) Look at what's remaining in your suitcase.
5.) You still have too much stuff.

:d

A serious tip relative to clothing for a liveaboard: nylon type t-shirts and shorts instead of cotton. They don't get as smelly/dirty in the first place, and can be washed easily in a sink (bring a little detergent) and dry quickly up on deck.

<<nylon instead of cotton>> yes, in these humid locations, and down in the cabin, cotton just won't dry. For days. That's why there aren't any tips about bringing less underwear and just washing it too. :)

I'm thinking this umpteenth message about packing warrants a sticky post in this forum.

Packing for the first live aboard trip is the most difficult. Packing for subsequent live aboard trips is wonderfully simple.

Reactions: RJP
I agree with all of the pack light tips!!!! A few wick away shirts and a few pairs of shorts and you are good to go. It makes life much simpler when you pack light!!! If you run out of shirts then the boats will sell you one!!( 100% of lob we have been on have sold shirts!!)

Ok, I just ended my Red Sea trip, and my tips would be: a few t-shirts for between dives, a cple different t-shirts for evenings, 1 pair of synthetic shorts, flip-flops or nothing - that will take care of daytime on the boat.

Don't forget a spare battery for your computer (+ 1 for transmitter if integrated).

Hi Guys & girls, reading through this has helped. last time I did a liveaboard, I was so unprepared. I wasn't even taking my own kit.

off to the Maldives next month, and all your comments have been great thank you.

glad someone pointed out earplugs must add that to my list

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom