history of rebreather project???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Bob3 pointed out, they do go back into the 1800's. The exact date can be found in the History section:

Here: <www.therebreathersite.nl>

along with much other useful information! :wink:

See also: <www.divingheritage.com>

scuba_freek2000:
hey all,
Im doing a presentation at school and need to know who created the 1st rebreather and what it was made for. THANX.:scuba:

hey i have a little info for u

jacques-yevs cousteau a french naval captain "invented" scuba diving but it was the work of both cousteau and a german man by the name of Emile Gagnan. it was invented for civilian and military underwater exploration

jacques-yevs cousteau a french naval captain "invented" scuba diving but it was the work of both cousteau and a german man by the name of Emile Gagnan. it was invented for civilian and military underwater exploration

scuba_freek2000:
hey all,
Im doing a presentation at school and need to know who created the 1st rebreather and what it was made for. THANX.:scuba:

Hi Scuba,

I think I may be able to help there;

The first credited rebreather was a mines rescue unit by the English botanist, Stephen Hales in 1726. He added the chemical absorbent needed to remove the CO2 - using flannel soaked in sea salt and tartar.

Then in 1878 Englishman Henry Fluess was granted a patent for a portable underwater breathing apparatus. It had a waterproofed rubber facemask, breathing bag/counterlung, cooper cylinder with oxygen and a CO2 absorbent canister of tow impregnated with caustic potash. His patent was brought by Siebe, Gorman & Co and in November 1880 his unit was used to repair a sluice door in the flooded Severn Tunnel workings.

If you need any more info please let me know.
Best Wishes,
Shas

MSD2598:

Um, while Cousteau did a lot for SCUBA, and is credited with invinting the on-demand regulator for open-circuit SCUBA, I don't recall he did much with rebreathers.

I believe underwater rebreathers started with Henry A. Fleuss, who invented the oxygen rebreather in 1876.

I seem to recall from research that I did on the subject that early rebreather development was mostly done in the area of mine evacuation rebreathers.

A quick google search on "history of rebreathers" turned up the following:

http://www.extendair.com/rb/rbfrm.html

I know I've seen better web pages on the subject, just don't recall where. The info should be available if you can spend some time on the 'net.

MSD2598:

An Austrian named Hans Haas was diving rebreather in the 1930s before Cousteau and was probably one of the first free swimming underwater explorers

cheers,

scuba_freek2000:
hey all,

I dug through a bunch of stuff I printed out a while ago, and found a timeline of rebreather development. Unfortunatley the web page I printed it from is no longer valid. If you would like a copy of my printout, let me know.

It also credits Fluess with the invention of the rebreather, and calls him the first SCUBA diver, since he used his rebreather to walk along a river bed 5.5m deep.

Draeger, one of the big boys in rebreathers, has been in the business since 1907!

us navy dive manual has a decent review of scuba diving in general, but also of rebreathers

babar

Back
Top Bottom