HLD lamp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the advantage of this light over HID's? The cost seem to be similar and I am not sure if the lighthead is able to be focused.

Luxeons can be focused if used with a reflector. The lights from Mal Light appear to be using optics, and probably can't be focused (don't have one, though, so not 100% sure).

HID will be brighter, but LED modules are more durable. They are, for all practical purposes, shock proof (Luxeons are tested to something like 1500Gs) and have very long run life.

Note that the Luxeons have nowhere near the 50,000 to 100,000 hour claims by the various manufactuters of the lights using them. I don't know where they get these completley bogus and grossly exagerated numbers from. If the Lux is kept very cool (cold) you might get half of that. But under typical flashlight use, a high power Lux 5W emitter will usually give between 1000 and 5000 hours run time to 50% brightness (depending on temperature), and the 3W maybe twice that. Although nowhere near the exagerated claims, it's still impressive compared to Halogen or even HID life.

Also, power requirements for LEDs are simpler than for HID. An LED light can be direct driven off of batteries (or batteries and a simple resistor). But even the regulation circuits are much simpler than the HID Ballast, and therefore should be more reliable.

LEDs themselves are also more forgiving of power variations. For instance, driving a 10W Solarc HID lamp at 11W will reduce its life by 50% (and more will damage the lamp). An LED will handle a 10% overdrive with little, if any, detrimental affect. If properly heat sinked Luxeon LED emitters can be significantly over driven (100% or more) and still deliver a reasonably long life (several hundred hours). Under-driving a Solarc 10W at less than 8W will also damage the lamp, while an LED will simply have lower output.

Aloha, iG

Thanks for the info Illumi. However from what you describe these LED lights do appear to have some benefits over the HID's and also appear to be less expensive to manufacture. However it seems that these cost savings do not get passed on to the consumer. Perhaps you should go into business and make your own.

I do make my own. For personal use. Flashlights are sort of a "hobby" of mine.

Small quantity pricing on the 5W Luxeon emitter is about half what WA charges for the 10W Solarc. And pre-made current regulation circuits also run about half the price of the WA Ballast. So, yes, it should be cheaper to make an LED light. Done a few 1W dive light mods myself. Would like to do a 5W mod, but good "X" binned 5 watters are hard to come by now, and the heat issue is real problem. Got some real nice "T" binned 3 watters in the house now. Will probably be doing something with them soon.

Aloha, iG

PS: "X" bin is the brightest of the Luxeon 5W (and pretty much the brightest LED in the world). Similarly, "T" bin is the brightest bin for the 3W (most are S bin).

On average, how much does it cost to make your own can light and what kind of tools do you need. I looked on some of the other threads and it seems to be a pretty complicated process.

Illumigeek, where are you buying your led modules from? I'd be interested in playing with a couple of them if I could get my hands on them.

anyone who's been diving these for a while? any long term thoughts

Are there any led bulbs, besides HLD, that will replace UK SL4 bulbs in "Scout" type
backup lights?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom