HMAS Adelaide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep scope

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be staying in Sydney for a few weeks in late December and early January and am thinking about making the drive up to see the HMAS Adelaide.

Can anyone post about recent experiences diving the wreck? Is it worth the drive from Sydney?

Thanks in advance

I'd say it's worth the drive up here.

Depending on where you're staying in Sydney you're looking at roughly an hour to an hour and a half to drive up to the 'coast. Diving recently has been a bit soupy down to about 12m, then clearing beyond that and very nice inside. Temperature between 15-17 degrees now but that time of year you're looking at over 20. I dive with Terrigal Dive (Home - Terrigal Dive Centre, Home of the HMAS Adelaide Wreck) - right on the beach inside Terrigal Haven and the boat trip to the ex-HMAS Adelaide site is about 7 minutes.

There's not a huge amount of life there at the moment, a few large cuttlefish and the usual clouds of small fish we see on the rocky reefs around here, the occasional octopus.

I'd say it's worth the drive up here.

Depending on where you're staying in Sydney you're looking at roughly an hour to an hour and a half to drive up to the 'coast. Diving recently has been a bit soupy down to about 12m, then clearing beyond that and very nice inside. Temperature between 15-17 degrees now but that time of year you're looking at over 20. I dive with Terrigal Dive (Home - Terrigal Dive Centre, Home of the HMAS Adelaide Wreck) - right on the beach inside Terrigal Haven and the boat trip to the ex-HMAS Adelaide site is about 7 minutes.

There's not a huge amount of life there at the moment, a few large cuttlefish and the usual clouds of small fish we see on the rocky reefs around here, the occasional octopus.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it would be worth it to see the wreck, especially after all the effort it took to get it in place!

IMO it would be worth crawling there on broken glass just to stick it up NSAG

The dive would be a bonus

Dived it yesterday - there are heaps of yellowtail, mado, rock cod and the other other small reef fish, and it is much more encrusted than I was expecting after just 6 months. The viz is variable apparently - yesterday was 5-ish metres and pretty green, about 16 degrees on the bottom. It's on the deep side for a recreational dive - if you are certified for Nitrox, then use it. Definitely worth the drive! :)

There are a few pics at: HMAS Adelaide - November 2011 - a set on Flickr

Cheers,
Huw

Dived it yesterday - there are heaps of yellowtail, mado, rock cod and the other other small reef fish, and it is much more encrusted than I was expecting after just 6 months. The viz is variable apparently - yesterday was 5-ish metres and pretty green, about 16 degrees on the bottom. It's on the deep side for a recreational dive - if you are certified for Nitrox, then use it. Definitely worth the drive! :)

There are a few pics at: HMAS Adelaide - November 2011 - a set on Flickr

Cheers,
Huw

Thanks for the report and sharing the cool pics!

Any opinions on Pro-Dive versus Terrigal Dive?

Back
Top Bottom