HMCS Annapolis project denied?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure Nanaimo or many other communities would welcome the Annapolis to their area. Maybe it's time for the ARSBC to say "Screw you Vancouver" and look elsewhere.

Sad but true perhaps. It's funny how, in our supposed enlightened age, so many decisions are made without any sort of logic.

I think they should sink the Annie next to the Sask and Bret and turn Nanaimo into a mega dive destination. With enough destination dives the charter operators over there will be able to create a sustainable business. Too bad for the Sea Dragon though.

Btw: I'm thinking of retiring there :D

It just might go to the locals

... who is making that mony? people in the local economy
... where do they spend that money? most likely, locally
... where does the tax money go? some comes back as local improvements

Erm, I meant it's not going directly into the pockets of the protesting locals.

It was early and I was grumpy.

Sad but true perhaps. It's funny how, in our supposed enlightened age, so many decisions are made without any sort of logic.

Humans can never be enlightened. Too many of us are way too stupid.

I think they should sink the Annie next to the Sask and Bret and turn Nanaimo into a mega dive destination. With enough destination dives the charter operators over there will be able to create a sustainable business.

If I was a councillor in Nanaimo I would be jumping all over that idea.

Too bad for the Sea Dragon though.

I have no idea what that is. One of those illegal ships?

Btw: I'm thinking of retiring there :D

I've picked Kaslo but that's another thread.

The Sea Dragon is the only dedicated dive charter currently (AFAIK) working out of West Vancouver, which has the closest marina to the sink site, and the current location of the ship.

They have volunteered their time to the project, as well as the fuel and such for transporting volunteers to and from the ship.

In short, they are well vested in the success of the project, and will be a direct loser (for lack of a better term) if teh project doesn't go ahead in Vancouver.

Perhaps the ARSBC should talk to the Squamish First Nation band about foreshore waters in their traditional lands and bypass the red tape. May even be economic opportunity for the band.

To my understanding the sinking of the Annapolis is still on track. I have not heard anything to the contrary from the people directly invovled in the project.

For those that have not got out to the ship and help out in gutting her, I would like to challange you to do so and help put this ship on the bottom.

Towing it to Nanaimo isn't really an option, for the exact reasons that towing it would cost a fortune in tug time and fuel.

Hopefully the Squamish nation can help out somehow, they're definitely interested in this project to restore habitats.

Towing it to Nanaimo isn't really an option, for the exact reasons that towing it would cost a fortune in tug time and fuel.

Of course it's an option. The other Nanaimo ships didn't get there under their own steam.

Hopefully the Squamish nation can help out somehow, they're definitely interested in this project to restore habitats.

Back
Top Bottom