HMCS Annapolis project denied?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody gonna be up working on the Annapolis tomorrow? I'm gonna drive up early AM and spend the day out there helping offload whatever needs to come off the ship ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was at the Annapolis today, and feel humbled how little my one day of volunteering is compared to the amazing passion, dedication, and effort put in by the ARSBC team, the many other volunteers, Wes and his crew, and Kevin and Jan from Sea Dragon who volunteer their time and boat to get everybody out there.

The idea of sinking a ship sounds great - but until you go and see the magnitude of the project, the work that has gone into it, and the work that has yet to happen, you don't realize what a huge project this really is.

My hat goes off to those who have worked so hard to get to this point, I lift my pint as a cheers and congratulations to getting the letter from the government for the sinking, and I appeal to any divers (and there buddies) to get out there and help these guys! Be a part of BC dive history.

It is going to be a great addition to diving in Vancouver and to diving in British Columbia. Thank you to all involved!!! Keep up the amazing work. Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: D_B
I'll see you there tomorrow Bob, I will be with a fairly large group coming from the Edge

Yesterday was a long, but really good day. I left home at 4 AM for the 180-mile drive to Horseshoe Bay ... arriving in time for breakfast at The Troll before meeting up with the volunteers and ARSBC crew at the dock at 8 AM.

This was the largest turnout I've seen yet ... there must've been 20 folks crowding into the Topline for the ride out to the ship. Kevin and Jan also had a couple of divers going out after they dropped us off, so the boat ride out was "festive".

We arrived at the ship, got our briefing, into our work clothes, and spread out around the ship to start hauling stuff out through the main hatch and loading it onto the barge. Mostly this was heavy stuff that required the crane to lift it out through the hatch.

About 10 AM the Coast Garde (love the way you Canadians spell that word) showed up in a hovercraft to inspect the ship. These guys were so friendly and curious about what we were doing ... and after their inspection they invited us to come tour the hovercraft, as well as get a really nice "show and tell" talk about all the rescue equipment on board. As it was by then about lunchtime, we invited them to stay for lunch, which for this day was a BBQ. After lunch, it was back to work. By then there was a lot of stuff on deck, as well as what had already been loaded on the barge, and the deck was humming with activity as people separated copper from steel from aluminum, etc.

We worked till about 5 PM, and as we were leaving the scene I couldn't help but notice that the waterline on the ship's about five feet above "normal" ... imagine how much stuff has been stripped off this ship to raise it five additional feet out of the water. Looking at those containers on the barge ... loaded with various sorted metals ... I wonder how much of that happened this past week-end.

For the ride home, I opted for the Lyndon crossing ... and was rewarded for that decision with a 2-minute border crossing. That made the 3-hour drive a lot more pleasant, and I arrived home about 9 PM ... grabbed a quick bite to eat and a shower and hit the rack hard. After that workout I could've slept a couple extra hours this morning.

I had a great time yesterday, with a really fun group of people. For anyone considering diving on this ship once it's down, I would urge you to consider volunteering some time helping on this final stretch to get it prepared for its final resting place. Besides some satisfyingly hard work, it's a great way to get to know the layout of the ship before diving on it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yesterday was a long, but really good day.
Interesting report. The 5' rise represents a lot of weight.

About 10 AM the Coast Garde (love the way you Canadians spell that word)

The majority of us don't.

Thanks for the report and the trip down memory lane... haven't done that drive for a few years now but it was once was a familiar one for me. That really is lovely counrty you were driving through Bob:worship:

Yes it is. I moved out here from New England about 18 years ago, and now I can't imagine wanting to live somewhere else. Since I started diving, that's even more true.

Getting back to the Annapolis ... this is my first project with the ARSBC, and it's been an eye-opening experience participating in a project of this scope. I think most folks who dive on these prepared wrecks have no idea the amount of effort that goes into cleaning up a ship that size before it goes down. I've dived on all of the other ships that the ARSBC has put down ... most multiple times ... but this one will be special to me because of my involvement.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

About 10 AM the Coast Garde (love the way you Canadians spell that word) showed up in a hovercraft to inspect the ship.

Great report, as usual, Bob.

FWIW, perhaps you saw part of the French spelling for the Canadian Coast Guard, which is "Garde côtière canadienne" (don't ask me why it's not capitalized), but otherwise, we spell 'guard' the same as you.

:cheers:

Todd.

Looking at those containers on the barge ... loaded with various sorted metals ... I wonder how much of that happened this past week-end.

That Barge would have been empty when it arrived. All that metal was from just 2 days!

I haven't heard what the tonnage was, but I'm quite curious.

Do they manage to get some $$ back in terms of scrap/salvage etc? Seems like you would with that much scrap coming out...

Back
Top Bottom