Hog/Edge service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECpirates96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I do not have a Hog dealer in my area and was wondering are these fairly easy to self service or would I need to ship it to a dealer for service. I have not bought a reg yet but at the prices they are selling for it is almost as cheap for me to replace my first stage on my Scubapro than it would be to change it to DIN and have it serviced. Thanks for any help.

I think learning to service you own gear is a worthwhile endeavor for any diver who has a little bit of mechanical ability.

The HOG regulators should be no easier or harder than most other comparable designs (balanced diaphragm or piston first stages; balanced adjustable barrel poppet second stages). A few "special" tools are usually helpful (and easily obtained or improvised), and with HOG the rebuild kits are openly available to the consumer. With Scubapro, you need to search a little (ebay) or cultivate a relationship with a sympathetic shop or tech to obtain parts. Scubapro will not sell parts directly to the consumer.

This board and the DIY section are full of really helpful folks who can steer you in the right direction should you decide to service your own gear.

So, if you are happy with your current Scubapro reg, I'd say stick with and learn to service it, and work on parts "sources".

Or, buying a HOG reg, with parts kit, and learning to service it is an equally good choice...

Both choices involve learning to service your own gear.

Best wishes.

There's a bunch of us in Raleigh that have service our own. We use the Apeks service manuals for the hogs. Only real special parts you need are a pin spanner and an IP gauge, so like $30. I'd be glad to send the manuals and stuff if you need em, or if you want to truck to Raleigh, show you how

There's a bunch of us in Raleigh that have service our own. We use the Apeks service manuals for the hogs. Only real special parts you need are a pin spanner and an IP gauge, so like $30. I'd be glad to send the manuals and stuff if you need em, or if you want to truck to Raleigh, show you how
@saxplayer1004: Does the same pin spanner wrench work on both the HOG and Apeks first stages? I have the 40-42mm Elora DIN 1810 Form B (Item# 891-40) from Bloomertool.com. Just curious whether I'd have to purchase another wrench when/if I switch over to HOG regs... :)

Saxplayer thanks for the offer and I may take you up. I have the book Regulator Savey and have a great understanding of the in's and out's of most basic regulators but a $20 Hog service kit is much better than an ebay $40 Scubapro kit. If the Frogkick.dk has the equivalent Apeks reg just let me know which it is and I will download if not I will PM you my address. I am sure scubatools has the tools I will need and can just order from there once I see what I will need. Thanks for the replys.

There is a class being put on at OUR WORLD UNDERWATER show in February 2011. Just google it and look at In-depth Workshops to see a list of clinics put on.

I have the book Regulator Savey and have a great understanding of the in's and out's of most basic regulators but a $20 Hog service kit is much better than an ebay $40 Scubapro kit..

I just bought a couple of HOG second stages and took one apart next to a Zeagle second and they're virtually identical. I don't think I need a manual to service either one of them; Airstream Express book offers much more incite into diagnosis than the shop-monkey manuals. One thing about the HOG seconds "that I have" is the barrel is a little loose in the housing (just like in the Beuchat VX 10 ) so if you aren't careful tightening the nut, the lever will become "cocked." But you would notice that, as I did, without being told.

I am currently planning on taking the HOG rebuild class. However, I have been thinking... At the great prices they sell the new regs for, does it make sense to buy the tools and pay for the class, or just dive them for a few years and then ebay them when they need service and buy new set.....?

Hey fellow Michigander.

That might work if they are still about the same price when it is time that they need service. But I doubt they will be. I would love to learn to work on the Hogs I just bought but not enough that I am going to fly from where I am now in SoCal to Chicago to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom