HOG Equipment service class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clearly, there is potential for a financial agreement to be struck between reefraff and Chris. However, there doesn't appear to be any pressure for it to happen, so I don't see this occurring in the near future. If an "official" manual were made freely available on the HOG website, it could cannibalize enrollment in HOG reg repair classes -- something that may not be in the best interests of reg repair instructors (like reefraff) and the manufacturer (indirectly).

I don't mean to be critical of Chris. I realize that he's a busy person, and I do appreciate his ability to offer good quality gear at an affordable price point.

Bubbletrubble,

I couldn't agree more with your statement.
I mean HOG is a great company for listening to the end user in tearms of making the replacement kits freely available, but without an "official" manual with key info like torque specs and tools required, those kits are somewhat usless to the enthusiast DIY-er.
So I guess HOG listens to the end user selectively :wink:

I guess it's always a compromize of some sort with each company currently on the market.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Necessary or not those are the requirements and always have been. At the user level anyway. Someone who is already a certified reg tech with other mfg certs would not need the dive rating. But then again a tech would have (hopefully anyway) a thorough understanding of reg design and how they work. He/she would also likely have all the required tools. The idea of a mfg sanctioning users to service regs and bypassing the shop on an official basis is new. Others sell kits and post manuals. Having an agency backing the class is just another way of insuring that users follow proper procedures. But with agency support comes standards that must be followed. Here they were, right or wrong, not followed to the letter.

My opinion on something new like this is that not following them exactly is a bad idea.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Necessary or not those are the requirements and always have been. At the user level anyway. Someone who is already a certified reg tech with other mfg certs would not need the dive rating. But then again a tech would have (hopefully anyway) a thorough understanding of reg design and how they work. He/she would also likely have all the required tools. The idea of a mfg sanctioning users to service regs and bypassing the shop on an official basis is new. Others sell kits and post manuals. Having an agency backing the class is just another way of insuring that users follow proper procedures. But with agency support comes standards that must be followed. Here they were, right or wrong, not followed to the letter.

My opinion on something new like this is that not following them exactly is a bad idea.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Hi Jim,

Wouldn't a well outlined step by step manual insure that?

I mean if one takes the class and service his/her own reg, then two years go by for the next service period.
By that time I'm sure all/most has been forgotten and the only way to remember how to do ypur own service is to refference the manual.
And that is exactly what a 1st time user could do as well, no?

I don't hold any tech certs.
I haven't received any official reg servicing certifications.
I don't own an inline adjuster or a copy of Scuba Regulator Savvy.
I would argue that I am more prepared to take a HOG reg repair course than the average person who signs up.
Based on the rules, TDI and the reg manufacturer would disagree with me on this point.
Apparently, they don't want me to service HOG regs.

For me, one of the most attractive features of HOG regs is the support for DIY reg servicing.
If I am not allowed to even sign up for the reg servicing class, out of principle, I'm not going to purchase any HOG regs.
Not sure how many other folks out there feel the same way I do.
I suspect that if there were enough of us, the rules would be changed.

Hopefully this question isn't too off topic but what's the reasoning behind requiring a technical certification in order to take the class.

Hopefully this question isn't too off topic but what's the reasoning behind requiring a technical certification in order to take the class.

When I was reg shopping I had the same question, and I started a thread (link below) to ask it. The question was answered in posts #4 (by DRIS, Edge/HOG dealer) and #9 (by cerich, owner of Edge/HOG).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ed...ng-owner-servicing-parts-buying-hog-regs.html

Edited to add:
In post #3 of "my" thread, someone linked to a previous thread where the question was asked about what constitutes "tech training" for the HOG requirement. cerich answered in post #10 "...for most agencies Intro to tech, for GUE, Fundies with a tech pass." (I believe that a Fundies tech pass can only be achieved in backmounted doubles. I don't know if HOG has changed their requirements at all since then.)

That thread is here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/edge-gear/308976-edge-hog-annouces-industry-first.html

Last edited:
To the question "Will Apeks kits fit HOG?"

I think the official answer will be no........but I expect the 2nd stage kits will work in either, there might be differences in the 1st stage seat.....
I have been meaning to do a side by side of a HOG D1 1st stage and Apeks DST / HOG D1 2nd stage and Apeks ATX......I'll see what fits what.

But.......Apeks kits are ridiculously expensive I can't see the point of putting an Apeks kit in a HOG......now the other way around on the other hand.........
(I've been putting USD/AquaLung 1st stage seats in my Mares regs for decades as they are better quality and 1/3 the price).

I was told if I took the nitrox class that and of course the tools/books would be all you need to be able to take the service class. I do not understand what nitrox has to do with reg service, but it is a class that many can benifit from, so no big issue for me. I'll have 2 years to get it done, else, well the service would not be any worse then any other reg at the LDS. Just a option that I can pursue if I choose.

Highflier

Back
Top Bottom