HOG Equipment service class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told if I took the nitrox class that and of course the tools/books would be all you need to be able to take the service class.

Could I ask from whom and when you got this information? Please don't take this as me doubting you, as I don't mean it that way. It's just that it seems so different from the information posted by the company owner in the two threads I referenced above, that it makes me wonder if it was a mistake. Or perhaps if HOG has changed their requirements.

GUE Fundamentals with a tech pass (requiring backmounted doubles), or even a more basic Tech class or Fundamentals pass, just sounds much more "serious/techy" than a Nitrox class (?). (Not that I'm complaining if a Nitrox class would fulfill the tech training requirement, mind you.)

Blue Sparkle

Not just any nitrox class will do. The new nitrox.classes that rely on computers do not meet the requirements. The TDI nitrox class does. It still teaches tables, deco procedures, actual calculations, and partial pressures. Other classes that involve overhead training such as ice also qualify as HOG considers any overhead training as texhnical diving. If there is a question about what qualifies a HOG reg instructor can usually answer it. If not I defer to Chris as to what meets the requirement.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Not just any nitrox class will do. The new nitrox.classes that rely on computers do not meet the requirements. The TDI nitrox class does. It still teaches tables, deco procedures, actual calculations, and partial pressures.

I took my Nitrox class through SSI. We did not use computers. We used tables, made actual calculations, and learned about partial pressures. We did not learn deco procedures, as the class presumed diving within no-decompression limits.

Based on that, would the SSI Nitrox class count as "tech training" for the purpose of taking a HOG reg servicing class? (Note that I'm not saying it should; just wanting to clarify since another diver posted that he/she was told a Nitrox class did qualify, without mentioning a specific class.)

Thank you,
Blue Sparkle

Not just any nitrox class will do. The new nitrox.classes that rely on computers do not meet the requirements. The TDI nitrox class does. It still teaches tables, deco procedures, actual calculations, and partial pressures. Other classes that involve overhead training such as ice also qualify as HOG considers any overhead training as texhnical diving. If there is a question about what qualifies a HOG reg instructor can usually answer it. If not I defer to Chris as to what meets the requirement.
So now we have a scuba manufacturer dictating instructional prerequisites. That makes very little sense to me.

Is the same standard (tech certification) demanded of official reg service techs for other brands of regs?

I fail to see what tech diving has to do with reg service and repair (other than the fact that tech divers use regs, just like the rest of us).

I apologize for belaboring this point. Ever since I was made aware of it, this prerequisite has puzzled me.

Hey, guys, please don't get anyone in trouble. I had a list of required tools; I was supposed to buy them before the class, but since I had less than 24 hours notice that I was going to be able to do this at this time, I didn't have them. I ordered what I didn't have the minute I got home. And I bought the pin spanner, the in-line adjustment tool, some Christolube (which is expensive!), some o-ring picks that were nicer than the ones I already had, a new and better IP gauge than the one I had, and the tool that screws into your first stage to allow stabilizing it in a vise without clamping the first stage itself. We already had an ultrasonic cleaner, a variety of wrenches, a torque wrench, a huge collection of Allen wrenches, a Tobin tool for inflators, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I'm not short on equipment, I just didn't have some specifics.

And if Chris is upset that I took the class from reading Vance's book, I'll buy the other book -- but since I got this one from Chris, I doubt he will be.

Blue Sparkle:6165842:
I took my Nitrox class through SSI. We did not use computers. We used tables, made actual calculations, and learned about partial pressures. We did not learn deco procedures, as the class presumed diving within no-decompression limits.

Based on that, would the SSI Nitrox class count as "tech training" for the purpose of taking a HOG reg servicing class

Same question. Was interested in HOG regs due to self servicing component but don't follow the tech requirement. My nitrox class was with tables although I completely fail to see the link to reg servicing..

I posted on the HOG facebook page, and Hog replied. Look at their page dec 11th post by James Stelzer (me)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/#

EDGE and HOG Dive Gear Take a TDI Nitrox class....done. You should take Nitrox anyhow, every diver should :)

I am sorry that I left out the detail of the TDI nitrox class.

Highflier

Could I ask from whom and when you got this information? Please don't take this as me doubting you, as I don't mean it that way. It's just that it seems so different from the information posted by the company owner in the two threads I referenced above, that it makes me wonder if it was a mistake. Or perhaps if HOG has changed their requirements.

GUE Fundamentals with a tech pass (requiring backmounted doubles), or even a more basic Tech class or Fundamentals pass, just sounds much more "serious/techy" than a Nitrox class (?). (Not that I'm complaining if a Nitrox class would fulfill the tech training requirement, mind you.)

Blue Sparkle

The TDI class also goes into more detail on what O2 clean actually means. I'm doing the online tdi class this weekend as part of my qualification to teach it. Our SEI nitrox class covers all the same material and a little more but it is not marketed as a tech level class. So it does not qualify. I can and do teach it. But since I'm able to teach the HOG class I want to be able to qualify people for it. Either that or they schedule an ice class with me. :=).

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

As stated I am going thru the TDI class now. There are 10 modules. How many of your std OW nitrox classes include in depth reviews of all the gas laws? Gas dynamics, a review of basic dive tables, nitrox tables, narcosis management, CNS toxicity, pulmonary O2 toxicity, and a physiology review in depth?

Ok Jim, I would not want to argue about the depth of the class concerning Nitrox, But let me ask you this. What in the class has help your with servicing a regulator? Don't get me wrong I will most likely take the class and be smarter for it, then take the reg repair class and self service going forward. The other route could be to find a fellow diver with HOGS and learn from them. That of course IMHO is more dangerous then taking the Repair class without a Technical dive skill.

Highflier

Back
Top Bottom