HOG Reg Technician Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any reason why is has to be TDI as apposed to an instructor from another agency?

yes, the course is offered to technical divers thru TDI as a specialty course. Thus to be an instructor for the HOG/TDI Repair Clinic Specialty you will have to be a TDI instructor.

TDI stepped up to the plate to offer this unique in the industry opportunity for technical divers to get trained to service by approving it as a sanctioned specialty.

It is not a comment of any type on other agencies, in truth I did not approach every agency and there may have been others that would have participated and indeed there is one other that is working on a program. However that oneis not done yet, so the only approved clinic for divers is offered as a TDI specialty.

So would an SDI Shop work as well?

So you could be a SDI instructor? Not sure how SDI and TDI work on the instructor level. When I went to TDI's website the instructor courses seem to be all specialties.

yes you could be

Just need to get a SDI/TDI instructor near me to teach the course to me. Don't care about teaching to others just want full info to start servicing regs myself beyond what I am willing to do now.

Just need to get a SDI/TDI instructor near me to teach the course to me. Don't care about teaching to others just want full info to start servicing regs myself beyond what I am willing to do now.

Mine will be going into a box as a spare......no need to have even more reg's that cannot be serviced. Someday someone will eventually train some Canadian Instructors in this area......I was under the impression that I could be trained but apparently that was an error on my part. Live and Learn.

Mine will be going into a box as a spare......no need to have even more reg's that cannot be serviced. Someday someone will eventually train some Canadian Instructors in this area......I was under the impression that I could be trained but apparently that was an error on my part. Live and Learn.

It is completely misleading to state it can not be serviced. It can and I offered to do it if you couldn't find somebody to do it.

I have made it as easy as possible for qualified people to become instructors to teach the tech course. VERY few have stepped forward. I can't force people to want to offer the course.

Tentative dates...

October 9 & 10, 2010 in Plainfield, Illinois (SW suburb of Chicago)
October 23 & 24, 2010 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
November 20 & 21, 2010 in San Diego, California
January 22 & 23, 2010 in Plainfield, Illinois

Sorry, nothing planned for Canada, yet, but additional dates and locations can be arranged if you have a group that is interested.

Course Fees
  • The instructor fee for the course is $295.00 per student. I need at least 3 students to put the class on in Plainfield and at least 6 students for travel locations. I reserve the right to cancel the class if there aren't enough students enrolled.

Additional Fees
  • There is a book and a number of tools that you will need to own that will cost about $300.00. You must also own a HOG regulator set that costs about $250.00. You can purchase these items from me or from anyone - a full list of what you need will be provided. Folks already servicing regulators will own many of the required tools.

Notes
  • The qualification is limited to equipment owned by the graduate only.
  • Graduates are required to maintain currency of their qualification current by:
    [*]Servicing a minimum of one (1) HOG regulator per year.
    [*]Purchase one (1) annual service kit from an HOG dealer each year.
    [*]Attend an HOG Service Clinic every five (5) years or upon purchase of a new product for which training has not been completed​

Student Pre-requisites
  • Minimum twenty-one (21) years old
  • Technical Level Diver Rating
  • Nitrox Diver Rating
If you're interested, PM me or email me at steven@diverightinscuba.com. I'm going to be out of touch for a few days and unable to check in so be patient if you don't get an immediate response.

It is completely misleading to state it can not be serviced. It can and I offered to do it if you couldn't find somebody to do it.

I have made it as easy as possible for qualified people to become instructors to teach the tech course. VERY few have stepped forward. I can't force people to want to offer the course.

I agree it can be serviced. Whether it makes sense to service them is another issue. To pay to ship a reg anywhere, let alone internationally, makes no sense to me. By the time I pay for shipping and taxes/duties for a couple of years, I will have purchased a second or third complete set just in those shipping costs. I do appreciate the offer of yours to service the regs but as I have said, paying to internationally service my gears makes not sense. I am the one that made the mistake in how I interpereted what I read, to believe that I could be certified to service my HOG regs. I just assumed that this meant that anybody could be certified - MY BAD - I am not Tech level certified and can therefore not be certified.

I made the mistake by not asking enough questions when I read up on these regulators. I am sure it will be a great spare reg because some people that I trust and respect love them. When and if someone local to me (there are SDI/TDI shops) gets certified to service them, then maybe I will get a couple more and use them full time. Until then, I will use mine as a back-up.

Back
Top Bottom