HOG Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diddydidit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys, just finished my Adv Nitrox and Deco thru TDI today:D. Now its time to outfit a deco bottle, I've been lokking at the the HOG regs and I have to say the price is right, but whats the catch. Are these quality regs and if so why can you pick up a first and second cold water reg setup for less than $200.00

Thanks Wayne

Hi guys, just finished my Adv Nitrox and Deco thru TDI today:D. Now its time to outfit a deco bottle, I've been lokking at the the HOG regs and I have to say the price is right, but whats the catch. Are these quality regs and if so why can you pick up a first and second cold water reg setup for less than $200.00

Thanks Wayne

Congrats on the Adv. Nitrox and Deco cert. Go for your trimix card to get the most out of it :)

The HOG regs are made in the same factory as a few other quality regs (Salvo and some of the Dive Rite regs). I think HOG just has a more aggressive pricing scheme that's designed to sell more regs.

The HOG regs are made in the same factory as a few other quality regs (Salvo and some of the Dive Rite regs). I think HOG just has a more aggressive pricing scheme that's designed to sell more regs.

yes they are made in the same factories (places like Ocean Divers Supply in Tawain), but I don't think they are all just the same "OEM design". I think they added some features/changes internally that make them a little better than the basic OEM design. (but I'm not an expert on what those changes are....)

I've not heard anything bad about them so far.... only good things.... but I've not gotten one... (yet).

but someone I know that demo'd one and took it apart to see how it was built was impressed by how it performed and how it was built.

This last week there was a special sale. Aside from that the HOG gear is typically aggressively priced. I would speculate it's an attempt to build a large customer base and get the brand out there. Part of the reason some is that companies like Dive Rite can charge because people know they produce quality, reliable products. A new brand like HOG doesn't have that going for them until they have enough units out being dived.

Those that have tried them claim they work well, but I don't think they have been made long enough to definitively say if they have the highest quality.

I am feeling not-buyers' remorse. They were extremely discounted until last night and almost bought a set, then waffled.

They are real nice regs! The dive rite reps I've talked to claim that they replace some of their parts with Dive Rite exclusive parts, but that said, the HOG parts also are different from the Salvo version of the reg, so I think HOG is also putting in their own parts.

I've got 20 cave dives on some of my HOG's now and still love them! The 2nd stage design is great for scootering and won't rot like many other 2nd stage designs which use rubber purge buttons. They are much easier to put back together than the Salvo 2nd stages, which used a retarded diaphragm design. There is also no way for the exhaust T to fall off like on some 2nd stages.

The first stages are high quality with a great finish, simple design that seems tough.

I love these regs!

sounds like good reviews but I ordered two dive rite's today. I know they work, plus I know that they will be around for years so getting kits wont be a problem. Plus I bought them for my stage bottles and I like the fact that you can get the green and yellow faces.

Back
Top Bottom