Hogarthian Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cebudiver:
I meant I want to go with what works for me. I have read in some of these forums that some DIR divers wont dive with people that are not following DIR to the T. I don't beleive in this ideal. The would rather dive alone than dive with someone who is not 100% DIR.

New rule:

Rule Number 1: Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
(and btw)
Rule Number 2: Do not talk about Fight Club.
Rule Number 3: Do not talk about Fight Club.
:D

For a bit more detail on hose lengths. I am 6' 1" or so, and I started with a 5' hose since I didn't have a can light and wasn't doing overhead environments. The hose wrapped around me ok, but I was finding that since it "rode high" on my chest, the long hose would sit on top of the backup reg bungeed under my neck, and limit accessability. This was not a big problem if I was donating my primary, since the hose would then no longer be there when I reached for my backup, but sometimes in drills I wanted to reach the secondary while I'd clipped off the primary, and then it would be in the way.

So I went for the 7' hose, which goes lower on my body (and tucks into my right side waistband. I could now reach the secondary even with the long hose undeployed, which was just more comfortable.

cebudiver:
I meant I want to go with what works for me. I have read in some of these forums that some DIR divers wont dive with people that are not following DIR to the T. I don't beleive in this ideal. The would rather dive alone than dive with someone who is not 100% DIR.

Not all DIR divers take this attitude. Before I took the DIR-F course, I dove with DIR divers. And to be correct, as far as DIR is concerned, you cannot be partially DIR. Someone who is "not 100% DIR" is not DIR at all.

cebudiver:
I would like to know more about hogarthian rigs. I would like options on where to clip SPG's, Computers, knives, pouches, etc. Pictures are welcome, please post what you've got. Thank You.
This is perhaps needlessly long:
  • I clip my SPG to my left hip D-ring, where I can reach it and where it's also out of the way and unlikely to snag on anything that I won't be able to reach. With a little practice, it isn't trouble to access, even with multiple deco bottles.
  • I keep EMT shears and a small knife front and center on my waist strap, where I can grab them with either hand. For my diving, monofilament is a common entanglement hazard and the shears work better than the knife.
  • I keep a back-up light clipped to each chest D-ring and secured to the webbing with a couple of snips of inner tube. I don't normally unclip the back-up lights - when it's necessary to use them, I slip the inner tube up the light and leave the lights clipped to my rig while aiming them - no worries about losing them, that way.
  • If I'm diving with a can light, it goes on the right waist strap, secured in place with a weight-belt buckle. The light head is clipped to the right chest D-ring under the long hose when not in use, mostly kept on my left hand while in use.
  • If I'm diving with argon, it goes in a 6cf bottle on the left waist strap, held in place with overlapping velcro tabs. My profiles are pretty square, so a 6cf bottle is usually enough but if the plan calls for more, I mount a 14cf bottle on the left side of my back bottles. Normally, the 14cf bottle is along for the ride to be used as a pre-dive purge bottle and it gets left behind on the boat.
  • If I'm planning to use a reel or jump spool, I clip them to the butt or scooter rings. I don't use the SMB spools for anything but shooting SMB's.
  • If I'm planning on lifting anything from the bottom, I clip a lift bag and corresponding line to the butt or scooter rings.
  • I keep a pouch clipped to the butt of my backplate with a large SMB and long spool. The first time you lose an SMB or need to shoot from depth in a current, you'll need the extra.
  • I keep a spare mask, a small adjustable wrench, a spare double-ender, a couple of line arrows and a small SMB with a small spool on a loop of large bungee in my left pocket. The left pocket is zippered and holds all this stuff better than the right pocket which uses velcro to close.
  • I keep WetNotes, a couple of pencils and tables in my right pocket. Next time I'm putting zippers on both pockets - they're easier to operate with heavy gloves on and I don't think the streamlining difference is worth the aggravation.
  • I keep a bottom timer and computer on my right wrist. I like the computer because it lets me download profiles and I use it to plan and monitor repetitive recreational dives. "Serious" dives are planned using GAP or DecoPlanner, the table sets are printed out, laminated and tucked inside the WetNotes.
  • I keep a compass and watch on my left wrist.
  • I keep all my deco bottles on the left side, clipped on top of anything else on those D-rings and ordered deepest MOD on the outside, O2 on the inside. Thanks to my normally square profiles, after stowing the regulators, used bottles can be removed and re-clipped head first to the hip D-ring or clipped to the mooring line and allowed to rise to the surface. I've had occasion to use up to three 80 cf bottles on a dive and this works just fine for me.
  • I bungee my alternate regulator beneath my chin. I don't recall the exact hose length, but it's a custom hose a bit longer than "normal" so that I don't have any restriction to my head motion when I'm using it.
  • I use an 8 foot hose for my primary regulator and clip it to my right chest D-ring (taking care not to tangle it in the can light cord) when not in use. If I don't have a can light on the rig, I just tuck the hose into my waist strap where the can light would be.

About the primary hose length: it's what you need to get the job done that matters. Form follows function. Always plan on donating the regulator in your mouth, and:
  • Due to the possibility of restrictions in their path, penetration divers should plan on using donor hoses that are at least 7 feet long so that they can swim single-file to the exit without the lead diver kicking the trailing diver in the head all the way out. Buddy pairs with tall divers might want to extend that a bit, likewise some divers have routing issues with a 7-footer and may need to go to an 8-foot hose.
  • Open water divers don't need to plan for single file exits and can use a shorter donor hose. Planning for a comfortable side-by-side swim while sharing air usually means a 5 foot hose.

Axua:
guys,
what can you say about the placement of the SPG on this set-up?

http://www.philtech.net/kag/single-tank_rig.html

Well, since "you will not find a better single-tank rig than what PHILTECH has put together," this must be the right way to do it. Unless they were talking about the SPG when they said, "there’s one small catch… we may yet find a way to improve it further." :D

I often see this type of set up (SPG routed next to inflation LP hose) and I'm sure it works for some people - for me, it would get in the way because the SPG is right on top of the inflator.

Axua:
guys,
what can you say about the placement of the SPG on this set-up?

http://www.philtech.net/kag/single-tank_rig.html
Only questions:

Does the SPG interfere in the operation of the inflator. In a zero viz situation when you have to operate by touch, can you access and operate the inflator? What if you have to orally inflate?

Does the HP hose create enough tension to make the corrugated hose more difficult to manipulate?

If you have to manually disconnect the LP hose, can you access it?

Now that the SPG is off the left hip D-ring, is it adding to the congestion at the left shoulder D-ring?

reefraff:
Only questions:

Does the SPG interfere in the operation of the inflator. In a zero viz situation when you have to operate by touch, can you access and operate the inflator? What if you have to orally inflate?

Does the HP hose create enough tension to make the corrugated hose more difficult to manipulate?

If you have to manually disconnect the LP hose, can you access it?

Now that the SPG is off the left hip D-ring, is it adding to the congestion at the left shoulder D-ring?

I haven't had the opportunity to try a set-up like this but was seriously considering it. You have raised valid concerns reefraf, thanks. I guess for me the ability to be able to orally inflate it is a main concern.

Am using the Philtek setup. It's very convenient when checking your gauges. It really does not get in the way of the inflator hose.

Axua:
I haven't had the opportunity to try a set-up like this but was seriously considering it. You have raised valid concerns reefraf, thanks. I guess for me the ability to be able to orally inflate it is a main concern.
Hey Axua,
I tried the philtek gauge setup this weekend for the 1st time. Cebudiver's right, it is easy for checking the pressure gauge. But my problem was exactly what reefraff said: I found it hindered me from manually inflating when needed. Also, my HP hose was too long for the inflator hose so the gauge didn't secure properly and kept sliding down and out. I guess I'll just stick to clipping the gauge off to my left D ring.

cebudiver:
Am using the Philtek setup. It's very convenient when checking your gauges. It really does not get in the way of the inflator hose.

Hey Cebu, not trying to knock it or anything. I liked how it looked so I tried it, but unfortunately it didn't work out for me (unless I shorten my inflator hose, but I'll just stick with it's current lenght for now). Glad it works for you, it's a unique idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom