Honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My fiance and I are getting married next september. I am going to plan a Diving Honeymoon ( Of Course). My questioon is where should we go. Money is kind of an issue, I would like to keep the budget at about $5000. plus spending money for trinkets. Where would you recomend we go? And where would you recomend we DON'T go. Thanks in advance.

In addition to Bonaire you should also consider Curacao. Both Bonaire and Curacao are out of the hurricane belt which is an important consideration for the month of September.

There is more to do on the surface in Curacao than there is in Bonaire. You can also do shore diving in Curacao. My family have stayed at Breezes Curacao which is very cost-effective. If you are looking for a 5 star resort then Breezes Curacao is not it.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced all-inclusive with decent accomodations then Breezes Curacao is worth considering.

All inclusives like sandals and breezes also limit dive times to 1/2 hour or so. A friend went to turks and caicos and they only let him in the water for that amt of time. Real cattle boat, lots of vacation only divers. He was pissed to say the least. Nothing was said about it when he booked as well. If you do AI call ahead and get specific info.

Where would you recomend we go?

What sort of diving do you and your wife enjoy?

Bonaire (my only warm water experience) is a great place where you will have your own vehicle and be able to come and go as you please day, night, sunrise, sunset, be where you want when you want and dive at will. We enjoyed the accommodations at Buddy Dive. If the visit will be less dive centric other resorts will offer more diversions.

Bonaire is known for easy, accessible shore diving. The parking is near, the entries quite easy, the swim to the reef short and even the shallows are interesting. I'll gladly return in a heartbeat. Boat diving is also available especially to reach the sites of the adjacent island of Kilen Bonaire. Reefs are healthy, fish plentiful and colorful and visibility great. Restaurants are nice, night life is scarce, amenities are available, the place is all about diving.

If you are into more dramatic diving like deep water walls, drift dives, BIG fish and so forth it may not be your best choice.

A portal to paradise.

Pete

Consider Club Med Turquoise. Go to their web site for information. I've been there twice. It's an all inclusive resort. Diving there is a little extra. Two tank dives from a huge boat was $400 for six days. Excellent dive masters. If you go, say hello to C. Lee for me.

Do not do jamaica in september...Prime hurricaine Season. Like you my wife and I were married last september, and dove the 1st week in october in Mexico, on the West Coast. I was Very Impressed with Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. We did it on a cruise, so the diving was minimal, and wished we had just stayed local and dove instead of the cruise thing...but we had never been on a cruise so it was ok. Bonaire is a good choice, but you are going to be pushing your $5000 limit. If you dont mind driving a bit, Fly down to mexico, then rent a vehicle and go explore. Stay at some all inclusive resort, and just use that as home base. We are planning on going back just to dive in september 08 and with resort and airfare for 10 days we are under $3000.

Good places to go in no particular order. They're all awesome. Great diving and plenty to do:

-Cozumel
-Bonaire
-Belize
-Roatan

Avoid:

-Jamaica

Sorry, but the diving there is just lousy. Plus the dive ops act like they're doing you a favor by taking you. Then there are the CONSTANT tshirt and hair bead hawkers.

-Charles

If you are looking for more of topside nightlife than Bonaire, consider Aruba or Curacao.

CURACAO- My wife and I went in May and had a great time. The diving was fantastic. We stayed at the "Habitat" which was a very nice place. The only down fall was that is on the other side of the island from the city, but the do offer a free shuttle to and from. They also rent cars pretty cheap. They have unlimited shore diving day or night and have the "house reef". We spent well under $5000 after it was all said and done. I did months of research to find a great afforable vaction and this was it. There are many other resorts on the Island that are near or in the city so its your choice. BTW evryone speaks english.

I went to Jamaica in September and it was fine. Yes it is hurricane season, but the hurricanes don't hit the island with full-force most of the time. We had wonderful weather, and some great diving. This year was also a low hurricane total year.

If you don't want any chance of hurricanes, don't go anywhere in the Carribean, Gulf, or lower Eastern seaboard because there's a chance that those could be hit by a hurricane during hurricane season.

--Shannon

I would recommend to skip Jamaica as well, and I didn't even dive there. I just came back from Cancun and had a much better time (besides the fact that I was diving this time! :)). I met a guy at the resort who had gone on vacation in Jamaica two weeks previous. Him and his wife were so disappointed they turned around and went to Cancun soon after they got back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom