Hong Kong diver killed by prop - Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think SMBs were even mentioned in my OW, AOW, or Rescue courses, at least not that I remember. I have traveled to dive many destinations around the States and Caribbean, dived with many others, but seldom see other tourist divers who bother carrying them. Sounds scary to me, but that's been my observation.

I learned to deploy a DSMB after reading about the use here, then practiced in a nearby freshwater spring. My home bud doesn't read here or anywhere else so I suggested he get one, too. On our next practice trip to that spring, I deployed mine, then he deployed his, then quickly lost control and got his line snagged around his body as he drifted up towards a partly filled sausage - so I had to control mine with one hand while I unsnagged him with the other, glad that it happened there on a practice dive rather than at sea.

On DM lead dives, it seems that many count on the DM to shoot the DSMB, but unless I am very close to the DM with one - I do like my own.
smh dep

I don't think SMBs were even mentioned in my OW, AOW, or Rescue courses, at least not that I remember. I have traveled to dive many destinations around the States and Caribbean, dived with many others, but seldom see other tourist divers who bother carrying them. Sounds scary to me, but that's been my observation.

I learned to deploy a DSMB after reading about the use here, then practiced in a nearby freshwater spring. My home bud doesn't read here or anywhere else so I suggested he get one, too. On our next practice trip to that spring, I deployed mine, then he deployed his, then quickly lost control and got his line snagged around his body as he drifted up towards a partly filled sausage - so I had to control mine with one hand while I unsnagged him with the other, glad that it happened there on a practice dive rather than at sea.

On DM lead dives, it seems that many count on the DM to shoot the DSMB, but unless I am very close to the DM with one - I do like my own.
Sub deployment is demonstrated during the o.w. Course.. anyhow, thsm

Smb deployment is demonstrated during the o.w. Course. However I would like to talk about balloons or buoy deployment, and how in some of the places I have been diving, the Bianca’s will go directly from over them. Friends Andy I have had far too many near misses from this!

SMB deployment is a required skill for PADI OW
Hey Jim, do you recall when they added that requirement? I don't recall seeing or having to deploy a SMB at all in any PADI or other course until I took AN/DP with TDI about 10 years ago. The Fundies course I took a few months later taught me how to actually deploy it safely and effectively... :)

SMB deployment is a required skill for PADI OW
Hey Jim, do you recall when they added that requirement? I don't recall seeing or having to deploy a SMB at all in any PADI or other course until I took AN/DP with TDI about 10 years ago. The Fundies course I took a few months later taught me how to actually deploy it safely and effectively... :)

SMB/DSMB was a recent addition to PADI standards for OW course. It is one of the flexible skills requirement during the open water dives. It states "demonstrate....deploy an inflatable signal tube at the surface, or deploy a delayed surface marker buoy (DSMB) from underwater". Therefore proper adherence to standard in OW course is to be able to deploy either as part of course requirements. PADI no doubt added this in view of many boat related accidents in the last years.
While personally fully support this to be an important skill for all divers, especially in area with busy traffic, DSMB deployment does require some skill training and improper deployment could cause rapid ascent and injury, it is often difficult for OW students to learn during the time of the course; and more practice is needed to get it tight. It is understandably a challenge for OW students to perform a complicated task (DSMB) while maintaining depth etc. Too often I see during the course this is merely "demonstrated" with minimum hands-on practice by the students. I personally think it should be an emphasize during AOW to really learn this skill and practice on every dive hands on.
The dive community would benefit when we all emphasize the use of safety equipment as an important part for all and educate/encourage new divers to do so.

I dive in a local quarry several times a year. At the end of several dives I will practice with a DSMB. The practice makes a big difference. And in my case was much needed.

When I took my OW and AOW some seven years ago, deploying an DSMB wasn't required for PADI. Subsequent recreational dives didn't require carrying an SMB or DSMB. When I was in Maui two years ago, some of the dive sites had strong currents and we were required to carry an SMB only. When I was in French Polynesia last year, there were strong currents at passes and we weren't required to carry an SMB or DSMB, though of course, the worst that could happen would be ending up in the lagoon, not open ocean. There was one time when we went down the middle of Tiputa Pass, Rangiora and ended up on the unplanned side of the lagoon. We sat on the surface for about 20 minutes before the instructor used her air horn to signal the boat. Even with the DSMB deployed, the boat didn't see us. We were in the wrong spot. On that same dive, after the DSMB had been on the surface for a while and were are doing our safety stop, a boat actually zipped right by it, which angered the instructor.

Back
Top Bottom