Hong Kong diver killed by prop - Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMB deployment is a required skill for PADI OW

Not anymore it appears, now a AOWD requirement.

Should be taught at OWD for sure.

Beginner divers tend to worry more about megalodons than propelers, always looking down, never up.

Not anymore it appears, now a AOWD requirement.

Should be taught at OWD for sure.

Beginner divers tend to worry more about megalodons than propelers, always looking down, never up.

Maybe they're finding that it's too overwhelming for OW students because their buoyancy isn't quite there yet.

Maybe they're finding that it's too overwhelming for OW students because their buoyancy isn't quite there yet.
At least they should be taught to carry one or two.

Plenty divers are doing AOW right after OW. So I don't think they would have good buoyancy control either.

At least they should be taught to carry one or two.

Plenty divers are doing AOW right after OW. So I don't think they would have good buoyancy control either.

What would be the point of carrying one if he/she can't deploy it properly? The DSMB and reel can become an entanglement hazard if improperly deployed.

True, many people are doing AOW directly after OW and perhaps the introduction in AOW is more appropriate, but I've found, personally, OW and AOW are for introducing skills but not for actually practicing it, at least not enough. If someone asked me if they should do AOW directly after, I would tell them to do some fun dives to practice what they learned in OW first, then move onto AOW once they've gained confidence in OW skills.

After doing my AOW directly after my OW, I would always recommend it. I know when I was a noob, I didn't feel confident, I knew just enough to be dangerous. After my AOW, I felt 500% better. Maybe it was partially due to my instructor and large boat dives in Key Largo, but watching and asking questions why/how everyone else was doing what they were doing, helped tremendously. Add to that the 5 dives in the AOW, I was then comfortable with my equipment and all it's operation.

What would be the point of carrying one if he/she can't deploy it properly? The DSMB and reel can become an entanglement hazard if improperly deployed.

True, many people are doing AOW directly after OW and perhaps the introduction in AOW is more appropriate, but I've found, personally, OW and AOW are for introducing skills but not for actually practicing it, at least not enough. If someone asked me if they should do AOW directly after, I would tell them to do some fun dives to practice what they learned in OW first, then move onto AOW once they've gained confidence in OW skills.
One can always deploy the smb on the surface.
I have seen plenty divers who carried one of them without any line, spool or reel etc etc so that they can deploy it underwater.

I have seen plenty divers who carried one of them without any line, spool or reel etc etc so that they can deploy it underwater.

I was answering in the context of a diver being underwater and deploying a DSMB to warn boats above that he/she was below.

Well that completely nulls the main purpose of diving with an SMB in the first place.

These folks would be better off by diving with a steel helmet...

Well that completely nulls the main purpose of diving with an SMB in the first place.

No, not completely. Deploying on the surface can make the diver easier to locate. Not the best approach, but helps.

Shooting the bag would not null the chance of being hit by a boat if you do not listen.
If you believe shooting the bag will null the chance of being hit by a boat then you better wear a steel helmet as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom