Hood Question? Bib or Bibless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought my first 5mm wet suit,and I'm trying to pick a good warm hood...Do I need Bib or bib-less, that is the question ? When wearing a full wet suit, do you tuck-in that bib under your neck or what...(sounds very restrictive) Silly I know, but I need an answer..
Bought a 5/3 Henderson Thermoprene hooded vest to layer over my 5mm TherMAXX WS....Problem solved.

Get a hooded vest (for underneath your wetsuit), they're much better than just a hood because they also add some extra thermal protection to your chest and stop the water from cooling you through your back zipper.

Hoods are something that requires getting used to really, so make sure you get a well-fitting one. I hated diving with hoods too before. What convinced me was diving with a very thin and comfortable 2mm hooded vest underneath my wetsuit in temperatures that were just a bit chilly. It's a world of a difference in comfort and you're ultimately a lot more attentive as well while wearing a hood. I don't think I'll ever dive without except in super warm temperatures.

Get a hooded vest (for underneath your wetsuit), they're much better than just a hood because they also add some extra thermal protection to your chest and stop the water from cooling you through your back zipper.

Hoods are something that requires getting used to really, so make sure you get a well-fitting one. .

I bought a 3mm hooded vest a few decades ago and ended up never wearing it. Like @northerone said, it seems like something usually doesn't fit right somewhere. In this case I think if the neck was about an inch longer it might have worked. Right now I'm modifying some old hoods so they might actually fit someone and might add an inch to the neck of the hooded vest. Unfortunately my dimensions have changed over the years so this particular vest will have to be passed on to someone younger and thinner. :wink:

While I would prefer to dive without anything on my head, I have to wear ear plugs to keep from getting swimmer's ear so I wear either a hood in cold water or a cap in warm water just to keep from losing the plugs. I have a Henderson Aqualock 5/3 bib hood which fits my very well and I don't even notice I have it on while in the water. I tuck it into my wetsuit without a problem and it keeps my head and neck area warm. I've never noticed any undue water flowing thru my wetsuit. Just this past weekend, I was diving in a quarry where the water temp was 54° at 70 feet and had my hood bib tucked between my 2½mm vest and 3mm wetsuit. While I felt the cold, I didn't get cold.

So I don't go cold water diving often, so I'm not used to wearing hoods, but this weekend I went and I was wearing a 7mm suit and I had a 5/3 mm hood I was using. I literally made it about to the water before I decided I couldn't breath with the hood on.

Not sure if I was just anxious with it on, or it was to tight around my neck (I guess it would be 10mm when you add the bib to the suit).

Anyways so my question is, should I get a bibless hood? How does that play into the cold water because I guess now there is a slight gap around your neck. Should I maybe get a larger hood with a bib? or should I look for the same one and try to find a good one with a 1mm bib.
Drysuit Hoods work best!

Back
Top Bottom