Hooded Vest - which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drdaddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to decide between:

Bare 7/3 sport hooded vest $90.00​

Pinnacle Merino-Elastipren Lined 7mm Hooded vest $76.65​

These are both 7mm hoods with 3mm vest - no zipper, but very stretchy.

What I have is a very nice ScubaPro backzip wetsuit and a 5mm step into front zip vest . But it's a little large in the chest (perfect fit in the belly, butt, and legs) and has room for a vest next to my body. Since I dive coldwater (48 degrees last 2 weekends) and do not want to go dry, I thought one way I could add some warmth is with a hooded vest.

Does anyone have an opinion about the Bare or Pinnacle or another suggestion for a hooded vest in the under $100 range?

Thank you.

I have an older, 5 yrs, Pinnacle 7/3 hooded vest.
While not the elastipren, it has the merino lining.
It's warm and has held up well.
Would definately go with Pinnacle again when needed.
I also have 2 of their suits that are 6 and 5 yrs old with no problems.

Good plan

Does either vest have vents in the hood?

I know the Pinnacle does, but I'm not sure about the Bare.

I'm leaning towards the Pinnacle - any other input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I have 2 pinnacle wetsuits and the hooded vest you are talking about. They are all well made and work very well for me. When I got the first wetsuit I broke the zipper (my fault not a manufactoring or design defect). The wetsuit was replaced even though it was my fault. If it fits well I would go with the pinnacle.

I ordered yesterday and I ordered today. :)

I'm one who usually buys from my LDS, but in this case I could not find what I needed from either of them - they would have had to special order and then I'd have to be sure of the size, which I am not. One of them even gave me enough of a "warning" about "wrong size" that I was really scared away. So I ordered from LeisurePro. This was a big deal, as I have NEVER ordered from LP before.

So yesterday, I went over the size charts and ordered the best guess that I could figure. They have a great wrong size/return policy and I figured that I could do that, but when I saw the projected "scheduled delivery date" I got a bit worried as we are leaving the country at the end of the month and the trading back and forth between me and LP would be cutting it close. So I called LP this morning, got the same salesman, and explained my worries. I apologized and said that I should have ordered both sizes yesterday. He said, "No problem - I'll just send you out the next size up and won't charge you shipping." He then told me that when I figured out the right size, to call customer service and they'd arrange the pickup of the wrong size. Wow! No guilt about wrong sizes/return. So I'm sitting here feeling relieved. You know, had I called one of my LDSs and explained my anxiety, I would have just got hassled.

Anyways, I'll let you know the results (of both customer service and the hooded vest) when I receive my two shipments.

I also wanted to thank those of you that responded about Pinnacle being a good wetsuit and especially for your encouragement towards the hooded vest.

Another thing about having a hooded vest is that I have an older wetsuit that I like to use for jetty dives as the jetty rocks and barnacles tend to tear it up. My favorite LDS has a great repair guy (as well as another guy who is my favorite tech). Well, this repair guy has been hassling :) me lately, telling me that he's not going to hold my 10 year wetsuit together much longer with his patching (the shoulders are starting to disintegrate). Well, I just couldn't see taking my almost new ScubaPro or SeaQuest wetsuits and dragging them on the barnacles. But, with a hooded vest underneath the top of the farmer john - I bet I'll get a least another season or two of "teasing" - I mean of "use" - of the this wetsuit! :)

Thanks again - I will write back in a week or so after I receive the hooded vests.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
I'm trying to decide between:
Bare 7/3 sport hooded vest $90.00​
Pinnacle Merino-Elastipren Lined 7mm Hooded vest $76.65​

Sorry for lifting it up...

If anybody has an experience/opinion with Xcel hooded vest "Thermoflex Vest 4/3"?
I am considering it along with Bare and Pinnacle.
The problem is that Bare does not make 5/3 mm yet (supposed to come in late April) and Pinnacle simply discontinued their hooded vests (for whatever reason...:idk:)

If you haven't decided yet, and you are not happy with either, might I suggest Waterproof. They make a great hooded vest.

If you haven't decided yet, and you are not happy with either, might I suggest Waterproof. They make a great hooded vest.
Which one do you mean?

I heard a lot of good things about Waterproof but never used it.
My main concern is that they do not use any "super-stretched" neoprene.
My approach is that a wetsuit should be "super-snag" which is especially true for an "under-wetsuit" vest. At the same time I'd like to take it of somehow... :)

The one I have is the Libra. Not sure if they make any other hooded vest.

Back
Top Bottom