hoods and hair!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have long hair, keeping it in a low ponytail is definitely the first step to keeping it under control while using a hood. I have found that by adding a second rubber band 1-2 inches from the bottom of the ponytail, the top of the ponytail holds much better, even when removing/replacing my hood between dives. When I dive wet, the whole ponytail (still with two rubber bands) is of course under the hood and inside the wetsuit. When I dive with my drysuit, I let the bottom end of the ponytail hang out below the hood (outside of the drysuit,) and that extra hair-band at the bottom keeps it from getting tangled too much.

I prefer to use a braid under my hood and let the end hang out of the hood (I dive dry). While in the pool you can ease the tangles by getting one of the neoprene straps to replace the one that came with your mask.

-K

Originally posted by otter-cat
I have found that by adding a second rubber band 1-2 inches from the bottom of the ponytail, the top of the ponytail holds much better, even when removing/replacing my hood between dives.

Excellent suggestion! I don't have much of a problem diving, but I'm sure when I go dry I'll have to have it hang out under the hood and I'll start having to deal with the same tangle-mess I used to get into skiing. (When I ski now I just put a bunch of bands in).

Walter... don't be jealous, it's all a matter of time until all I have left is pictures! :)

Try zipper hoods.
It is easier to put them on. Especially for someone with long hair and a large head. LOL

I second Dea's suggestion of zippered hoods! They are fantastic, and only a little more expensive than regular hoods. I dive with a zippered hood with my drysuit, although I still do need to put two rubber bands in my hair to keep it under control.

the low pony worked good for me. I just shoved the hood back between dives and fixed it. The hood went back on fine.

I was more concerned with not being able to wear makeup diving. I almost didn't get certified becasue of that. ....LOL.....I did try the waterproof stuff, but it just came off anyway.

wow, make-up is the last thing I would think of when diving!

Just a souvenir...

I guided a beautiful young woman :gorgeous: in her very first dive, a few months ago. She was very coquette and extremely self-conscious, checking her tan and her bikini every ten seconds... The kind of girl you just feel like not being nice to...
I was just amazed at how she looked like when going back on the boat. Her hair was a mess, her makeup was all washed over (still on her face, but not in the right place :D ) and she looked just stupid. AND she'd been a mess underwater...

From this day on, I never worried about my hair during a dive anymore. (But I have half-long curly hair)

Cheerz !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom