Hooking BCD to a scooter, which part?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a scooter dive as part of my AOW class. I think it was my 9th lifetime dive. I survived it.

But it wasn't a clip-on scooter. It was a SeaDoo, and they're fun. They don't go very fast and they don't run very long, so that minimizes the amount of trouble you can get into with them.

When you start asking about the kind of scooter you clip to yourself, you're talking about "technical" type scooters. They are powerful and long-lived, and really can get you into a lot of trouble. They also have failure modes that can be scary, like stuck triggers, and they're really bad news if they flood. There is a lot to know about them, and either a class or some solid mentoring from people who use them is an awfully good idea.

If you are diving solo, which I think you are, some things don't much matter. But if you are diving with another scooter pilot, you also have to consider how you are going to share gas. It's not feasible to do it on a traditional reg/octo setup, so you need to change some things around. You also need to know how to tow someone (you need to be efficient about it, or you'll exhaust the one working scooter) and how to plan battery life so you don't end up stranded somewhere.

There's just a lot to it, and it doesn't work very well with "traditional" gear.

But how long can one hang on especially with more powerful scooters?

PS: On a scooter, I guess, one can carry an extra pony bottle.

to control it? maybe a couple of seconds. unless you're also holding the shroud, i guess, or have a mako with both handles intact. hmm. anyone tried this? i don't think you could do it one-handed, because then you couldn't steer. or at least, i don't think i could, but i'm not queen of upper body strength.

on a real scooter, you can carry at least 4 bottles from personal experience & lots more from photographic evidence... :)

It all depends on the individual, the scooter, and the gear you are dragging through the water. I have tired out very quick, a matter of minutes, when not using a tow strap on a fast scooter.

Solo diving and scootering is a whole other animal. I suggest a backup scooter for that.

to control it? maybe a couple of seconds. unless you're also holding the shroud, i guess, or have a mako with both handles intact. hmm. anyone tried this? i don't think you could do it one-handed, because then you couldn't steer. or at least, i don't think i could, but i'm not queen of upper body strength.

on a real scooter, you can carry at least 4 bottles from personal experience & lots more from photographic evidence... :)

I did it on a double handle Mako. Kicked my tail quick fast and in a hurry. Lol. Single handed scooters like we are used to would be a biscuit. I have never tried. Steering would be a nightmare like you said.

Just don't run the scooter in the dry pool. Great way to damage the ceramic shaft seal and overheat the motor.

I think the sea doo types use a different type of seal but mako, tekna, X, SS, Hollis, Gavin, and maybe others (farallon?) use a simple ceramic (or if very old, stainless steel) shaft seal which is designed to be run wet.

Oh and watch the batteries. Lithium seem to burn sometimes, and none respond well to water, and battery acid hurts!

And 2" crotch strap for the gents!

PS: On a scooter, I guess, one can carry an extra pony bottle.

On SeaDoo, you should be able to hang on as long as their battery runs. I really think this is what you will be using in PADI DPV, not the technical type, so you shouldn't need to worry about being too powerful.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several posts and the follow up responses have been deleted due to the tone of the posts

Last edited:
I have a techinical style dpv (Silent submersion magnus) and tow people for an hour and a half on a shore dive. We probably cover well over 2 miles. I am connected to it via a crotch strap and I can operate with 1 finger. If I didn't have a crotch strap I could hold onto it for 5 seconds at most.. way too powerful. When I dive with a buddy they either hold on to my ankles (when trying to cover ground quickly and then will hold onto the shroud for at least 1/2 the dive. Before I owned one I would hold on myself and get tired after about an hour.. as long as you lock your elbow you can hold on with 1 hand for a decent amount of time.

In my opinion, get some more diving under your belt.. your boyancy has to be very good for you to be trimmed optimally. Also if you're in a lake just putzing around, definitely don't consider getting a high end one.. the high end ones are for cave diving, shore diving, wreck diving, or diving where there is some strong current.

PS: On a scooter, I guess, one can carry an extra pony bottle.​

I have rode the Tusa scooters the last 3 times to Maui, they are hands free and easy to ride. I go with a friend and his wife who own them. I agree get one when you have more experiance and go on them only with people who know the area and have used them there before. "THEY ARE A BLAST" My mfavorite thing in diving.

Back
Top Bottom