Horizontal Obsession

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Thal. Even though that may be old technology :idk: and I should be evolving, I am intrigued and am going to give it a try. It makes sense in my head anyways.
Part of the pleasure for me in diving is exploring different ways of doing things.

It's truly a great technique, that you can use horizontal or vertical, but that works better vertical and solves all the issues and complaints raised by the horizontal advocates, except perhaps that of style points awarded by the Russian judge(s).

except perhaps that of style points awarded by the Russian judge(s).

I'm afraid points for style is a lost cause in my case...

decemberdive036-1-1.jpg

Except for the MOF and the tennies I'd say you're stylin'.:D

BTW: I should have said this before: You need to consider the buoyancy changes in your suit, I'd suggest if using a dry suit to have the shoulder valve open just a hair past "shrink wrap" and if using a wetsuit you may be surprised by how much "up" movement of the inflator will be required, especially when shallow. You've gotta be anticipating change.

If you want near perfect control of ascent learn to use an air siphon*(which happens to work best in the vertical).

*The "air siphon," is something I have discussed before. Each BC is a little different so you will need to experiment and practice if you want this in your bag of tricks. It will result in a highly controllable ascent. Start up, by kicking or very slight filling of the BC. When your BC has expanded enough to keep you moving, relax and let it carry you upward, but hold the oral inflator hose as far down (deep) as you are able and keep the oral inflation button OPEN.

Continue to keep the oral inflator button open and move the hose up until air starts to trickle out of the oral inflation mouthpiece, then lower it till it just stops. You now have an air siphon from your BC or BP/W that you can use to control your ascent or descent rate with amazing precision. Just remember to keep the oral inflator OPEN ALL THE TIME. THIS TECHNIQUE REQUIRES PRACTICE!

It is a little contraintuitive, moving the open inflator upward will increase the size of the bubble in your BC and will speed you up, moving the open inflator down will decrease the size of the bubble in your BC and will slow you down or even (in the exteme) cause you to sink.

I read this last year in one of your posts and was fascinated. Can this be accomplished whlist using a retractable console computer? I am asking for Bob & Dave. :D

I have no idea, if god wanted there to be retractable console computers he would not have put wrist straps on them in the first place.:D

No ... seriously, what does a retractable console computer have to do with it?

I can't speak for Bob, but my impression was not that he was upset with you, but he was not happy with the different treatment by the powers that be when DIR is mentioned vs when PADI is mentioned.
That is correct ... since I'm neither PADI nor DIR I really don't have a dog in either one of those camps ... and frankly I don't care what people think about either.

My objections had everything to do with inequity of treatment and a lack of respect toward and on the part of certain members ... some of whom are on the staff of this board.

At any rate, I've said my piece ... time to move on to more constructive topics ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have no idea, if god wanted there to be retractable console computers he would not have put wrist straps on them in the first place.:D

No ... seriously, what does a retractable console computer have to do with it?

Nothing. Just a feable attempt at humor. I respect both gentlemen very much...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom