Horrifying experience that nearly killed my new dog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie:
If you question whether or not to take them to the vet; TAKE THEM to the vet!!
Your pups should be looked over to see if there was any internal damage.
If I was dragged and twisted around by my neck, I would go to the doctor!
The peace of mind is worth it.

I would have taken them to the emergency vet last night if my vet hadn't believed the dogs were ok. She had me call her after 15 minutes to re-evaluate them then again after 45 minutes. The 45 minute evaluation was good so she had me call her in an hour then one more time before bed. She said Lindy wasn't showing signs of serious injury, she told me what she was really concerned about...laryngeal something-or-other but Lindy never started drooling or having trouble breathing. Lindy always snores and sounds funny when she breathes anyway and since we've not had her a month yet we're not completely familiar with what's normal. I'm guessing hubby will take them to the vet today depending on what she says when he calls her since he can get away from work easier than I can. They will be well taken care of for sure.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'm trying to figure out how they got in such a fix.

I'm glad you and the dogs are ok.

Really not to hard to figure out My dog will get a hold of my mom & dad's dog's collar & drag him around by it or he'll pull out of it. The nylon collars are notorious for catching & strangling animals, especially in fences. a leather collar will have some give to it & if not too thick, will break at some point. I'm glad everyone is non the worse for the wear.

Ber Rabbit:
I would have taken them to the emergency vet last night if my vet hadn't believed the dogs were ok. She had me call her after 15 minutes to re-evaluate them then again after 45 minutes. The 45 minute evaluation was good so she had me call her in an hour then one more time before bed. She said Lindy wasn't showing signs of serious injury, she told me what she was really concerned about...laryngeal something-or-other but Lindy never started drooling or having trouble breathing. Lindy always snores and sounds funny when she breathes anyway and since we've not had her a month yet we're not completely familiar with what's normal. I'm guessing hubby will take them to the vet today depending on what she says when he calls her since he can get away from work easier than I can. They will be well taken care of for sure.

Again, you are a hero in my book for handling the situation as incredibly well as you did. It makes me want to have you as my dive buddy!
Your vet confirmed that there are no immediate life threatening problems.

My concern would be about a slipped disk, or some ruptured blood vessels, etc.

I was just trying to encourage you to go to the vet if you were having trouble deciding. I have no doubts that you guys take wonderful care of your pups, and you know what to do!

Wow.

Ber - your love and dedication to your animals is very evident, as is your quick thinking under stress.

I highly recommend the break-away collar. It's not just for situations involving more than one dog. Very good friends of mine came home to find their beloved border collie dead from strangulation, after he went after something under a cast-iron radiator and his collar got stuck.

Use the break-away collar for "every-day" wear, to hold ID and Rabies tags. Then use a 2nd collar for leash walks, if you're concerned the break-away won't keep them with you if they decide to take off after something.

I'm sincerely glad everything worked out for you and your canine family.
Scuba-sass :)

Walter:
I'm trying to figure out how they got in such a fix.

I'm glad you and the dogs are ok.

Katie is a collar grabber, this isn't the first time she's gotten hung up like this. When we first got Katie three years ago we had an older dog named Amber whom we had to put down in July after a suspected stroke, she was 14 years old. I was home alone with both dogs for the first time and they were playing in the living room. They were on the other side of the couch when I heard Katie yelping and Amber gurgling. I ran over to see what was wrong and found both of them frozen in place with Katie's lower jaw twisted in Amber's collar. I was able to release Amber's quick release buckle after a few seconds because they had remained still instead of twisting and tightening the collar even more. We loosened Amber's collar after that so Katie could easily pull it over Amber's head to remove it and she did this regularly.

Katie hadn't been as preoccupied with Lindy's collar although when outside she would occasionally grab it and lead Lindy around by it. I don't know if this is what happened last night to start the problem. All Lindy would have had to do was lay down and roll over and Katie's jaw would have been trapped.

Divedoggie:
Again, you are a hero in my book for handling the situation as incredibly well as you did. It makes me want to have you as my dive buddy!
Your vet confirmed that there are no immediate life threatening problems.

My concern would be about a slipped disk, or some ruptured blood vessels, etc.

I was just trying to encourage you to go to the vet if you were having trouble deciding. I have no doubts that you guys take wonderful care of your pups, and you know what to do!

Thank you, I'm just as tenacious as a dive buddy and in other parts of my life LOL! I just don't know when to give up :wink: Ask my husband about the large branch that fell on us the weekend after our wedding. We were kneeling on the driveway and I saw it coming but couldn't get both of us out of the way in time so I stayed put and it bounced off my head; it's second impact was on my shoulder and his arm at the same time. He grabbed his arm and fell over because he thought it had broken his arm, it hit him that hard and he never saw it coming. He was amazed to hear it had bounced off my head before it ever touched him.

Hubby just called and said the vet called him a little while ago asking how the dogs were. He told her and she doesn't think they need to be seen since they are starting to act normal and want to play. Luckily it was the bigger dog who was being strangled, had Katie been choked by Lindy we probably would have more serious injuries since Lindy is 20 pounds heavier. We'll be keeping a close eye on them to make sure they aren't too sore, they were already starting to play-bow and trying to chase each other in the living room last night before bed.

Lindy definitely has ruptured blood vessels in her eyes, similar to a mask squeeze and the vet said her eyes may yellow a bit as that clears up. That's probably why her nose was bleeding as well, the vet said that was normal for what she went through.

Thanks for the link to the breakaway collar eckybay. We usually use a harness on the dogs when we walk them anyway so having a breakaway collar wouldn't be an inconvenience. I didn't know they even existed, does anyone have any experience with a dog getting hung up in this jaw twist with one of those collars?

Good for you for keeping a calm head (as calm as could be under the circumstances) and resolving the situation.

Glad your pups are ok.

I think it should work as advertised in that case. The website gives the example of "...or one dog's lower jaw becoming caught on another's collar during play"
I keep meaning to get them for my three mutts, but haven't yet. I know of people that use them and are very happy with them.

There's also a style of collar that uses slipknots to lengthen the collar.
http://www.ruffwear.com/new_Knot-a-Collar-trade?sc=2&category=16
I don't know of anyone that uses this style, but it's just another option.

Back
Top Bottom