Horse collar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a Buddy Artic ablj, a buddy bcd and a wing. I like my ABLJ it originally came without a power inflator and had a small air cylinder, (known locally as a suicide bottle). With a row of press studs on the sides to hold a fold, this ABLJ is streamlined, lightweight and versitile. There's a small problem using one with a standard dry suit as the Ablj covers a chest centre positioned suit inflator. Compared to my buddy BCD jacket there's a lot less drag. With a wetsuit, ballast trim alterations are needed as the buoyancy compensation bubble is concentrated closer to the head.

I use a horsecollar as well. I dive it when I am mandated to use a BC by a dive boat typically. What Nemrod said is correct, if you have good buoyancy control and the ability to weight yourself properly (as in not overweighted), then you can just use the horsecollar to account for wetsuit crush. If you are a decently trained diver (which I am sure you are), then you can account for the buoyancy swing of an AL80, LP72, any set of 50's, double 72's, or single HP80 with your lungs. I use maybe two good puffs of air in my horsecollar at depth. It is a great BC, it is easy to pack, it doubles as a life jacket (I know, oh God, call the cops!), and it is super easy to pack. It also works great when using a vintage styled tank pack as you can don it when the boat freaks and not have to change your configuration.

For reference, I dive a oxycheq extreme BP/W when diving modern, and the transition is not difficult to make. It it pretty cool. The fun police will show up and try to pee in your proverbial cereal though. People will tell you that you are dangerous. Maverick was dangerous in Top Gun, so you will have that going for you as well. Just make sure to wear your dog tags when you play beach volleyball :wink:

Last edited:
Anyone using a horse collar lately? I'm thinking about using one with a backplate/hog harness and DUI weight harness in salt water. Any recommendations exept to lose the idea?:dork2:

If they had not come up with what I will call "modern BC's" I would have learned how to play golf a long time ago.
And I pretty much hate golf.
Those old "Horse Collars" just drove me nuts with all the rubbing,chafing,leaking, and whatnot. Besides, I never saw one with pockets.

This being said, good luck to you in finding a way to torture yourself Garrobo.
I respect your wish to dive this way, no matter how insane I think it is.

Chug

Besides, I never saw one with pockets.Chug

You haven't seen or used many then.

72982140_o.jpg

76917260_o.jpg

Pockets were and are common.

N

Co-incidently this past week I've been looking at the pocket on my ABLJ and considering removing it to reduce drag.

No single configeration is suitable for all diving. I mostly do scenic non deco dives from the shore. I've tried a variety of cylinders mostly 10's 12's +15''s and use 300bar steels as in theory a smaller higher pressure cylinder result in a reduction of total weight. Comparing dives using configerations of single 12's, twin 12's with a tri-laminate dry suit and neoprene drysuit with the same BCD, I estimated I was using +- 20% less air using singles and a further 20% less air using a neoprene drysuit rather than a tri-laminate. It got me thinking about trying smaller cylinders and diving with a wetsuit.

The wonderful thing about the net is you get to read what others have done Kayak Divers UK - GEAR - Diving with Side Mountd Cylinders

The past year or so I've dived regularly in a wetsuit and been thinking of getting an open cell zip less wetsuit. I've acquired two 300 bar 3 litre cylinders and an ABLJ. Maybe I'll get around to divng an ultra light weight configeration like Shaun's in 2010.:)

Last edited:
Oh Cool!
Pocket!
(singular)
I remain in the "Ewwww" catagory as far as Mae West Flotation goes.
The original Mae West however...Va Va Voom!
I am thinking they are a lot more fun with a wetsuit on your body.
When I started using them in 1977, it was warm water South Florida diving, we were poor kids, and nobody had any money for wetsuits.
We wore thick tee shirts and sweat pants for protection.
It was always a pain to roll on my back and reach into the reef for a morsel to drag home as the suckers would ride up.
I am thinking that we were probably using a lesser "Snorkle" type of horse collar.
So, warm water, no wet suit, limited lift, chafing, leaks, occaisional accidental discharge of the CO2 bottle,
But.....If ya' like them....use 'em!

Chug
(Likes Lotsa Pockets, Hates Horse Collars, Likes Mae West)

I cant say I like pockets on a suit and on my bcd their very difficult to use. I dont carry a spare mask and I cant think what I really need to carry around in pockets I cant clip onto a D ring. If I'm after shell fish, I'll clip on a goody bag. My ABLJ has chest and crotch webbing and doesn't ride up. Its always cold water where I live, but I've also heard a number of local divers say ABLJ's are uncomfortable. Perhaps it was chaff on bare skin whilst doing training in the pool, I've never used one without a suit and a hood. These days if you can find one in good condition your probably onto a bargain as most people are conformist and wouldn't use one.

OK. I'm convinced that I need a horsecollar to experiment with. Anyone got a good used one at a CHEAP price? It'll have to be the type which I can fill from my tank. Send me a message.

Co-incidently this past week I've been looking at the pocket on my ALBJ and considering removing it to reduce drag.

No single configeration is suitable for all diving. I mostly do scenic non deco dives from the shore. I've tried a variety of cylinders mostly 10's 12's +15''s and use 300bar steels as in theory a smaller higher pressure cylinder result in a reduction of total weight. Comparing dives using configerations of single 12's, twin 12's with a tri-laminate dry suit and neoprene drysuit with the same BCD, I estimated I was using +- 20% less air using singles and a further 20% less air using a neoprene drysuit rather than a tri-laminate. It got me thinking about trying smaller cylinders and diving with a wetsuit.

The wonderful thing about the net is you get to read what others have done Kayak Divers UK - GEAR - Diving with Side Mountd Cylinders

The past year or so I've dived regularly in a wetsuit and been thinking of getting an open cell zip less wetsuit. I've acquired two 300 bar 3 litre cylinders and an ABLJ. Maybe I'll get around to divng an ultra light weight configeration like Shaun's in 2010.:)

What is ABLJ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom