Hose Adapter DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mts0628

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All:

I am trying to get all of my hoses away according to DIR, and I am using an Apeks ATX 100 setup. Most know that the secondary port for the older Apeks regulators are 1/2 inch. Now my question is, is an adapter from 1/2 to 3/8 DIR?

I know this introduces a potential failure point, with an extra o-ring, but I also look at it this way, if my hose does bite the dust, I think I'd have better luck finding someone with another 3/8 inch hose rather than the more uncommon 1/2 inch hose. As far as the o-ring failure with an adapter, I think preventive maintenance and a watchful eye might reduce the chance of failure.

I am trying to find the best solution to my problem and any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Kindest regards from North Carolina,
Thomas

Now my question is, is an adapter from 1/2 to 3/8 DIR?

I know this introduces a potential failure point, with an extra o-ring,
I think you just answered your own question right there.

but I also look at it this way, if my hose does bite the dust, I think I'd have better luck finding someone with another 3/8 inch hose rather than the more uncommon 1/2 inch hose.
Are planning on replacing the hose mid-dive? :) If not, then the convenience factor in finding a replacement shouldn't trump the underwater reliability/performance issues -- at least not in the DIR world.

The best solution is to plug the 1/2" port and use a standard 3/8" hose on a different port. Otherwise I would use an adapter with standard hose as you said and wouldn't worry about its DIRness in the slightest. I doubt any instructor would fault you for it.

Use the adapter and don't worry about it. :)

edit: There are really 2 options:
1: Use the regulator "right side up" as shown in this picture, and use the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter.

2: Use the regulator "upside down" so that the environmental seal is pointing up. If you aren't using a drysuit this should be fine, since it allows you to put both of your 2nd stages on a standard 3/8" port, and have your LP inflator run off the other 3/8" port on the other side, and nothing on the 1/2" port. Unfortunately, doing this also angles the HP ports upwards, so you might have an interesting time trying to route your SPG hose since it initially goes 'up' out of the regulator, when it needs to go down to your left hip D-ring. If you use a drysuit, this 2nd option is nullified since you have use all 4 LP ports.

Personally I'd choose option 1.

One static o-ring is no big deal. If it were we'd be buying regs that had precisely the "right" number of ports and no more. Guess I'd need a really old single hose reg with only one port on my stage/deco bottles then. :14:

I think you just answered your own question right there.

Are planning on replacing the hose mid-dive? :) If not, then the convenience factor in finding a replacement shouldn't trump the underwater reliability/performance issues -- at least not in the DIR world.

If you choose to go with the adapter, you can get one from here for $6.

I've seen one once, and didn't even realize it was on the hose until the owner told me. I just thought it was a 1/2" hose with a really long attachment point on the end, until I realized it had the adapter on it.

Use the 1/2 hose, and bring a 3/8 adapter in your save a dive kit just in case the hose bites the dust and you need a quick replacement.

If you can make it work without adding an additional failure point, then there is no reason to add one. But, there is something to be said for having the forsight to bring the part you need to save your dive if something goes wrong with the hose.

Use the 1/2 hose, and bring a 3/8 adapter in your save a dive kit just in case the hose bites the dust and you need a quick replacement.

If you can make it work without adding an additional failure point, then there is no reason to add one. But, there is something to be said for having the forsight to bring the part you need to save your dive if something goes wrong with the hose.

AJ beat me to it. Of course you could also bring your own spare 1/2" hose. I think this is basically the sort of nit-picky detail that doesn't amount to much in the real world. Do one extra S drill the next time you're in the water, and you make up for any safety margin the extra O-Ring would cost you.

Tom

All of the above are good solutions to Apeks's silly 1/2" port.

Personally, I use the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. I've got several hundred dives on it. There is no extra "safety" concern of one static o-ring. That's almost as lame an argument of "the o-ring in a turret reg will fail!!!"

However, should you be concerned, use a 1/2" hose, carry an extra in your SAD kit. You can even throw the adapter in there for a few bucks just in case you have two hose failures!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom