Hose routing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GottaDive!

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Mares MR12 Axis regulator and have a question on hose routing. I have the primary second stage coming out the right hand side, the computer out the left. Where does the safe second go? The angle of the LP ports makes it easier to route it out the right hand side with the primary second, although I usually see the safe second on other divers on the left with the computer. Is there anything that says the safe second can't be on the same side as the primary second? Thanks!

The hose for your alternate second stage should always be run under your right arm in a non-DIR configuration. That's why the ports on the MR12 are arranged the way they are.

You might want to think twice about who you're diving with if they all have their alternate second stage on their left.

equipto76 once bubbled...
The hose for your alternate second stage should always be run under your right arm in a non-DIR configuration.

DIR or non-DIR it still goes under the right arm...it's where it goes from there that differs :)

James Goddard once bubbled...
DIR or non-DIR it still goes under the right arm...
Ehh...I've got mine over my right arm on a short hose...I'm pretty sure that's the Hogarthian way.

Maybe I misunderstood? :confused:

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Ehh...I've got mine over my right arm on a short hose...I'm pretty sure that's the Hogarthian way.

Maybe I misunderstood? :confused:

Nope, I did. Minor brain fart, I was thinking of the primary not the backup.

That's what happens when you try to respond and debug a kernel driver at the same time.....:boom:

OK. I have configured the safe second to route under the right arm, and have clipped it so it doesn't dangle. It's an Oceanic slimline octo and it lies very flat against my Seaquest Pro QD+. Am going to try out this new reg on Saturday at one of the local lakes. Thanks to all that responded! :)

As I was tought, Regs on the Right. The means primary and octo.

With that said, I've had a discusion about having the octo on the left. This what the reasoning: When the Octo is run on the right side, it's great for you to breathe off of, but for your buddy (who it's intended for) you have to bend the hose at a pretty good angle for them to use it and maintain eye contact as in a share air accent. Unless you have one like the Dacor Viper that flips over. Now, if you put the Octo on the left side, as is comes around your body, the natural curve of the hose puts the mouthpeice out toward your buddy and you get face to face without having the bend and therefore, no pull to the side out of your buddy's mouth.

It made sence to me in theory, but I found that putting a swivel connection on my octo got rid of that argument and keeps my octo on the right side where the buddy should be expecting it.

The Hogarthian routing is that the primary second goes under the right arm, and the back-up goes over the right shoulder.

The majority of configurations are the other way around....but they don't have the long hose on the primary either.

The best way for you is the one you are most comfortable in...especially if you are trying out new equipment....you want everything esle to remain the same. Now if you ever want to change something (like hose routing, or singles/doubles configs....not something like I'm moving my knife) I'd suggest making a bunch of dives on the new set-up before adding or changing something else....

norcaldiver once bubbled...
This what the reasoning: When the Octo is run on the right side, it's great for you to breathe off of, but for your buddy (who it's intended for) you have to bend the hose at a pretty good angle for them to use it and maintain eye contact as in a share air accent.

another argument to go to the long hose....it is long enough to not have to worry about beding around, etc. and if your buddy is on your right, it routes just behind their head and over the shoulder in a natural position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom