Hotel recommendation in Nassau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I are flying in the day before for the Aggressor Bahamas itinerary in February. Looking for recommendations for a decent hotel for the one night. I've looked at Melia (expensive, a little further out but all inclusive so will get at least 2-3 meals covered) and British Colonial Hilton (expensive, no meals included but in town). We don't need anything fancy, just staying one night and then getting on Aggressor Saturday. Wish I'd done research prior to booking air for the day before or I probably would have just booked for Saturday arrival. Any suggestions appreciated! - Janie

Hey Janie,

I've done 4 LA trips out of Nassau and with each trip, I too arrived a few days prior to either relax or even dive with Stuart's Cove. If you are not looking for fancy and a decent night's sleep, I would suggest Orange Hill Inn. That's the only hotel I've used whenever I need to stay in Nassau. Plus if you plan on diving with SC you can also score a package deal at this hotel.

Hope this helps.

Hey Janie,

I've done 4 LA trips out of Nassau and with each trip, I too arrived a few days prior to either relax or even dive with Stuart's Cove. If you are not looking for fancy and a decent night's sleep, I would suggest Orange Hill Inn. That's the only hotel I've used whenever I need to stay in Nassau. Plus if you plan on diving with SC you can also score a package deal at this hotel.

Hope this helps.
I've stayed at the Orange Hill Inn a few times too. It is too bad you won't be there for a couple days. It is a little ways out of town, but it has a great atmosphere. It is family run, and they try very hard to make you feel at home while you are there. As you enter or leave, you are greeted by name. It is not fancy, but it is clean and comfortable and IIRC, it was quite reasonably priced.

Nothing wrong with Orange Hill but it would be a fairly expensive ($30ish?) cab ride from there to the Aggressor dock which is just east of the cruise pier downtown.

Orange Hill works for diving Cove's since they go right by there with their shuttle from downtown/cruise pier anyway.

Nothing wrong with Orange Hill but it would be a fairly expensive ($30ish?) cab ride from there to the Aggressor dock which is just east of the cruise pier downtown.

Orange Hill works for diving Cove's since they go right by there with their shuttle from downtown/cruise pier anyway.
I agree that the cab ride would be in the $30 range (maybe a bit more - its been a few years since I stayed there), but even with that factored in, it is still a much more economical option than the $300 hotel rooms that the OP was being recommended.

I agree that the cab ride would be in the $30 range (maybe a bit more - its been a few years since I stayed there), but even with that factored in, it is still a much more economical option than the $300 hotel rooms that the OP was being recommended.

This is a very valid point and I have never taken a cab to any of the LA boats in Nassau directly from Orange Hill Inn. Here's what I did instead: Since most of the LA boats doesn't allow you to board until 3pm anyways, I almost always dive with SC that same morning as a "check out" dive. When you return SC docks, just tell the shuttle where you need to go-SC will most likely do their best to shuttle you wherever you need to go.

However, if you are not diving with SC and staying at Orange Hill Inn, you'll have no choice but to pay for the cab ride.

Lastly, I want to echo the Orange Hill Inn is a very basic, no frills, and friendly hotel. They have a "honor system" at the bar where you pour and get your own drinks 24-7 and note it on a notepad for when you checkout.

If all you want is a bed, El Greco hotel near Junkanoo Beach is kinda alright. It's within walking distance of British Colonial Hilton. It's a dump but it's not $400 a night!
Junkanoo Beach Resort next door is also ok, just for a bed.

I'm going an Allstar Liveaboard trip in February and I am staying at the Nassau Harbor Club for one night. 87.50$.
Here's a list of other hotels.
Nassau Hotels near the Blackbeard's Cruises dock scuba diving liveaboard
Blackbeards moors further east so NHC is a good option for Blackbeards.. Also the marina is behind the hotel.

It's about a mile west to the Aggressor dock though.

My thought was staying Paradise Island, the OP could take the ferry back, walk 100' down the dock, around the corner left - down maybe a short block - and board the Aggressor.

Here's all three on a map - the small red circle just above Downtown Nassau is the Aggressor dock. The line is the ferry. I also included NHC to the east.

It's also entirely likely that someone from the Best Western will take them over to Atlantis for dinner if asked. I don't think that would happen from NHC so you'd have another cab ride. I think you can walk from Comfort Suites - it's next door. May be why they offer Atlantis privileges to their guests - Atlantis may own it also?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
We stayed a Orange Hill a couple of times and loved it, but as mentioned it is a small, no frills, and family-run inn (think Fawlty Towers!) Glad to hear that it is still going strong!

I have a different transportation suggestion. The last time we were on Provo in the Turks and Caicos we rented a car to enjoy our time on the island before boarding the liveaboard. We made arrangements with a local car rental company (Grace Bay) allowing us to drop the car off at the marina for later pick-up. There was no additional charge for this service and it was very convenient.

The "big name" rental car companies like Hertz and Budget all said "no way!" but the little, local company said "no problem!" I would contact the Nassau car rental companies to try and make a similar arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom