Housed 35mm or dedicated U/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost.Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got an old Sea & Sea MM 35 that I actually have never used. I got it pretty cheap but it's not really what I am looking for.
I'm a fairly good land photographer with a 35mm SLR camera and feel that is my strong point.
Should I be looking at getting a housed 35mm or a dedicated u/w camera. I dont really want to go digital yet but would like to stay with a SLR camera. Any suggestions on which way to go?

Hi,

I started out using Sea&Sea MMEXII and has upgraded to a housed SLR.

My advise would be for you to first use your Sea&Sea MMEXII since you have it already. The only extra investment will be either a 20mm or 15mm conversion lens and a base plate.

You will need also need a strobe and a strobe arm in which you can reuse them when you upgrade to a housed SLR.

You can of course go straight to housed SLR, the investment will be a lot more than starting off with your Sea&Sea MMEXII. The advantage will also be a lot greater than the Sea&Sea MMEXII.

The next dedicated UW camera that is better than Sea&Sea MMEXII will be the Nikonos V. I have a Nikonos V as well. Although I must say that the 15mm lens is superb, I will not advise you to go for it as compared to a housed SLR since the investment for a Nikonos V and its lens are not a lot cheaper than a housed SLR.

Liang

PS : If you are using a Nikon and have already either a 16mm, 20mm, 60mm or 105mm lens.... You can really consider getting a housing!

I didnt make it clear in my original post but I dont have the MMEXII, I have the earlier version of it, the MM 35se. I do have a strobe and a 16mm wide angle but I really dont like it too much, too bulky.

I really dont want to go out and buy a brand new 35mm SLR from Nikon or anyone for that matter, and stick it in a housing. I've got a Canon Rebel that I use every now and then that I am thinking of picking up a housing for it.

If anyone out there has a housing and/or 35mm SLR they are looking to get rid of let me know.

If I end up buying the whole outfit, I would like to keep the price under 1000. Just a housing, less than 500 would be what I am looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom