How Afraid are you of Sharks?

How Afraid are you of Sharks?

• Shark!? Where? Eek, a shark!

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • I'd pee my wetsuit if I hadn't all ready.

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I don't give them a second thought (just a first).

Votes: 58 25.0%
  • I don't give them a second thought (or a first).

Votes: 35 15.1%
  • Shark? Oh, how cute! Let me get a picture with it.

Votes: 103 44.4%
  • If a shark bites me, I'll bite it back!

Votes: 22 9.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the same tank as some others in the thread, being an aquarium diver I get to swim with sharks on a regular basis. Sand tigers, sand bar sharks, nurse, zebra, sawfish. I worry about the saw fish at times, not really the sharks though they command respect.

Sharks have a bad rap, they really are not that big a threat to people. Even bulls, which can be aggresssive, are not nearly as terrible as popular consensus. They frequent areas that have allot of people and poor visibility and so it is natural they would be high on the attack list.

Personally, I would give them more space than many other species. Straight fish eaters I am not as concerned with, as long as you don't stress them you are safe, you are not on their menu. Large sharks who will eat or taste most anything, or specialize in mammals would make me nervous.

However, people are never natural prey for any marine species, which is why we are rarely attacked, even by white sharks. If they figure out what we are (or are not) they leave us alone.

Having hiked in grizzly country on numerous occasions, I can attest that they are pretty amazing critters. Not aggressive predators, though, like lions and tigers are, otherwise nobody would ever step foot in Glacier National park.

A funny bear story is about this Canadian guy about 10 years ago or so that was knocked down by a grizzly while hiking, but not further attacked and walked away. He was so inspired by the experience that he decided to build a protective bear suit and spend the rest of his life picking fights with the bears. He "trained" and tested the suit by fighting motorcycle gangs with chains, then went out looking for a grizzly and brought along a film crew to document the whole thing. Apparently he spent years and thousands of dollars in this project, never saw another bear, and ended up bankrupt.

He was pretty lucky IMO. I've seen car doors ripped off their hinges by much smaller yosemite brown bears looking for coolers. Apparently it only takes them a few seconds, and they're about half the size of grizzlies.

I spent a summer solo hiking the Bob Marshall and then Glacier, saw lot's of griz. Other than my Toyota being attacked--he tore the RH front fender off pretty much all the way and reloacated my brush gard, well, no, I rammed him after he tore my fender off to establish who is is who here bud. Apparently after I rammed him he decided he had enough and wandered off after tossing my fender to the side. He was unharmed and the Toyota suffered living with no fender and bent brush guard until we returned home. They like sharks are beautiful creatures and deserve our respect and help to survive. A world without such creatures would be a sadly dimenished place.

N

Hold that pose! Smile! Work it, work it....the camera loves you baby!

Great White Shark at Isla Guadalupe, Mexico Oct. 2007

Attachments

• Yeah I'm looking at you-compressed.JPG
    Yeah I'm looking at you-compressed.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 61
mselenaous, you took that? I think that would make me drop some weight real quick, and I am not talkin lead!

So far the reaction seems to be if you see this and your on a walk, you're in big trouble
[/IMG]

GREAT pictures!! I am going back to the bush in about 30 days time and I can't wait.

If you can find it, watch the documentary "Tuna Cowboys". Watching the divers wrestling blue sharks and mako sharks out of a net is great TV. Certainly makes the idea that sharks are automatically dangerous look silly.

If you can find it, watch the documentary "Tuna Cowboys". Watching the divers wrestling blue sharks and mako sharks out of a net is great TV. Certainly makes the idea that sharks are automatically dangerous look silly.

Also a show called "Sharkman". The guy is a little loopy and wants to put a white shark in tonic immobility. However most of the show is him learning how to do it and watching reef sharks, and yes even tiger sharks "cuddle" and seem to enjoy and seek out the contact puts sharks in a different light than the ravenous killers most people think they are.

Must remember though, anything that big with teeth is "automatically dangerous".

mselenaous, you took that? I think that would make me drop some weight real quick, and I am not talkin lead!

aic, it was awe inspiring to be that close to these fascinating creatures, - smart, sleek, and lightning fast. Granted, I would have never done it without the cages.
If you are interested in seeing the Great Whites face-to-face, go with Doc at San Diego Shark Diving Expeditions (Shamless plug).
:sharkattack:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom