How Afraid are you of Sharks?

How Afraid are you of Sharks?

• Shark!? Where? Eek, a shark!

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • I'd pee my wetsuit if I hadn't all ready.

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I don't give them a second thought (just a first).

Votes: 58 25.0%
  • I don't give them a second thought (or a first).

Votes: 35 15.1%
  • Shark? Oh, how cute! Let me get a picture with it.

Votes: 103 44.4%
  • If a shark bites me, I'll bite it back!

Votes: 22 9.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smileyshark.jpg

This picture frightens me!

Is it a photo assembly?

Hey, that was the name of my fencing team! We weren't scarey.

I have always liked sharks (a childhood memory of my friend's Dad dragging one out from under a rock by its tail to show it to us kids cured me of most fear), but I was diving in South Africa once and we came into the middle of a freckin' great school of the buggers and I have to say, I started to feel quite edgy about the situation, although all the other South African divers were enjoying themselves like this was their regular weekend thing.

It's always a thrill to see them, but I never forget that it's their ocean and they are powerful , beautiful animals. They always get a bad rap for doing what comes naturally to them. They can't help that they were born without a smiling mouth.

:sharkattack:I'm not big on sharks. They don't do much for me, there are a whole load of other creatures down there that I find more interesting. I remember being in a class quite a few years ago, basically just shooting the breeze and an Instructor said:"OK, guys, so you are with your buddy and a huge frigging Great White is coming towards you at a rate of knots, what do you do?". We got all the usual answers about not panicking getting back to back with your buddy and so on. One guy says: "Whip out my dive knife and stick it into my buddy and get the hell out of there.....":sharkattack:

The one open water shark encounter I had was pretty cool. It was a four foot white tip cruising a marine sanctuary. It was fat and confident and appeared ready to move on to the outer reef. The animal had such poise and grace, I couldn't help but admire it. I won't go out of my way to see them, but after millions of years of evolution, they have THAT look. The same one you see in a Lamborghini (sp?) or a fighter plane. Purpose-built efficiency. I just have to admire it (as long as the plane, car or shark isn't coming in on me).

aic, it was awe inspiring to be that close to these fascinating creatures, - smart, sleek, and lightning fast. Granted, I would have never done it without the cages.
If you are interested in seeing the Great Whites face-to-face, go with Doc at San Diego Shark Diving Expeditions (Shamless plug).
:sharkattack:

I'll keep it in mind if I head out west.

Thanks,
aic007

I have always liked sharks (a childhood memory of my friend's Dad dragging one out from under a rock by its tail to show it to us kids cured me of most fear), but I was diving in South Africa once and we came into the middle of a freckin' great school of the buggers and I have to say, I started to feel quite edgy about the situation, although all the other South African divers were enjoying themselves like this was their regular weekend thing.

You are correct, in South Africa we have lots of sharks as well as the Big Five!!
We love doing the extreme thing. Most of us are staying inland, so if we have the chance to go diving, we do it full-out.:D

Back
Top Bottom