How an easy dive can go south at the drop of a hat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...To answer both kathydee and Tigerman... we didn't have wings or ass-dumps 20 years ago:).

I've done some research and it seems the BP/W was introduced as early as 1972 by a company named Watergill who developed the Atpac wing. But the BP/W didn't become popular or well known until tech diving came about. I can't find any info on when the ass-dump first appeared. I only recently learned about the wing style BCD though as I have been on a 12 year SI.

... As a beginner, I can only imagine the moment of panic...

Yeah... This incident happened during my first 10 to 15 dives after my OW cert so to say I was totally freaking out would be putting it mildly.

... glad you didn't drop that weight belt & all ended ok ;-).
Thanks, me to!

...It was however the part that "you couldnt dump because you where inverted" and "it wouldnt have done any good if you could because you wore a 1/5'' farmer john" that confused me, not the letting go part...
Yeah... I didn't make that very clear in my OP did I. But I had a perfect picture of it my mind. :D

Speaking of dropping weight belts..
We had someone jump in at a rather choppy dive site without his. We scrounged what we could find and we all got down to see a few hammerheads.
Towards the dive however the DM is the one scrounging weights - appears he couldnt hold a safety stop with 0 lbs of weights afterall (especially after using a quarter more than he used to from the tank to get down in the first place)

A good learning experience to share here on SB. Thanks. I will say that a buddy who is "in sight" but not close enough to be aware of your distress is too far away. A buddy close at hand could assist in replacing the weight belt, or to control your ascent if the belt was dropped. Proximity and awareness of each other are both essential to buddy diving. The purpose for diving as buddies is to be able to assist each other if the need arises. As pointed out in this thread, a need can arise very quickly. Keep your friends close and your buddies closer. That's the title of one of my blog entries here on SB.
DivemasterDennis

The only thing that bothers me about this thread is it perpetuates the myth that goes : "If I lose my weightbelt I'm going to rocket to the surface and die." That just isn't true for recreational divers.

First of all, you will not rocket to the surface like a missile launched from a submarine. That's silly. If you lose your weightbelt you're going to be quickly underweighted but that's not a disaster. Dump any air you have. Try flattening out in the skydiver position to present as much resistance as possible to your upward motion.

Shallow your breathing and watch your computer. Are you still rising way too fast? If so, point your head down and fin against the bouyancy a bit. You don't have to fight to stay down. All you want to do is slow your ascent enough. Keep breathing. Manage the ascent rate until you surface.

-Charles

The way many new divers are weighted and the little experiece they have they WILL rocket simply because they are way overweighted and wont have the experience to get their BC emptied and their posture in place untill its way too late :(

A good learning experience to share here on SB. Thanks. I will say that a buddy who is "in sight" but not close enough to be aware of your distress is too far away. A buddy close at hand could assist in replacing the weight belt, or to control your ascent if the belt was dropped. Proximity and awareness of each other are both essential to buddy diving. The purpose for diving as buddies is to be able to assist each other if the need arises. As pointed out in this thread, a need can arise very quickly. Keep your friends close and your buddies closer. That's the title of one of my blog entries here on SB.
DivemasterDennis

You are exactly right. Thank you for pointing that out. Had my buddy been there to assist me it would have removed 90% of the panic inducing stress I found myself in. I make it a point to never dive "follow the leader style" anymore, we always dive side by side now. If I can't see my buddy in my peripheral vision... I'm to far away from him/her.

The only thing that bothers me about this thread is it perpetuates the myth that goes : "If I lose my weightbelt I'm going to rocket to the surface and die." That just isn't true for recreational divers...
I was unaware of any such myth until I read your post.

... First of all, you will not rocket to the surface like a missile launched from a submarine. That's silly.
What Tigerman said would more likely be the case:
The way many new divers are weighted and the little experiece they have they WILL rocket simply because they are way overweighted and wont have the experience to get their BC emptied and their posture in place untill its way too late :(

...If you lose your weightbelt you're going to be quickly underweighted but that's not a disaster...

An uncontrollable rapid ascent IS teetering on the edge of disaster in my book. There are a lot of variables involved here, depth, time at depth, over weighted, actual verses perceived rate of ascent, stress level... to name a few. And the closer you get to the surface, the more your suit and other air spaces expand, the faster you will ascend. Making for a very rapidly spiraling out of control rapid ascent.

...Dump any air you have. Try flattening out in the skydiver position to present as much resistance as possible to your upward motion.

Shallow your breathing and watch your computer. Are you still rising way too fast? If so, point your head down and fin against the bouyancy a bit. You don't have to fight to stay down. All you want to do is slow your ascent enough. Keep breathing. Manage the ascent rate until you surface.

-Charles

Sounds great in theory and on paper. But in reality, an inexperienced OW diver is not going to be able to pull this task-loaded maneuver off. Especially not an inexperienced diver in excruciating, nauseating pain like I was. Unless you are diving deep (which would be your first mistake as an OW diver), you would just simply not have enough time to pull all this off before breaking the surface like a fish-bobber.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions and I'm not trying to come down on you or imply that what you suggest isn't possible, but I just don't think you are being very realistic as far as the capabilities of an inexperienced OW diver.

I was unaware of any such myth until I read your post.

Disagree all you want, but it simply does not work that way. You will not "rocket to the surface." I've seen divers drop their entire belts on more than one occasion and it does not happen the way you described.

-Charles

---------- Post Merged at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:25 PM ----------

they have they WILL rocket simply because they are way overweighted

Thank you for reinforcing my point. Don't be overweighted. Not overweighted means they don't have a lot of air in their BC. Which means if they DO lose their weightbelt they will not rocket to the surface.

Not that they would anyway. I've been diving now more than 30 years and seen divers lose their weightbelts on more than one occasion. None of them "rocketed up."

-Charles

Some day... I'm going to make a video about this. I also get so fed up with the misconception that loss of a belt is a "rocket ride" to the surface.

It isnt if youre properly weighted, if you are as badly overweighted (not overweight :wink: as some people are they have way too much air in their BCs and losing the belt they have no chance of staying down without fixing it and their skill level is not neccesarilly such that they automatically dump air or flare..

Ive never said its smart to be overweighted, quite the opposite. I did infact lose half my weights last trip - or more specifically I took them off to adjust them and didnt put them back on properly. Given the small ammount of weight it was just embarassing and a couple of meters to swim down to retreive it, but had it been the kind weight belt/pocket I see some new divers dive with it would have been a much larger issue..

Yes, Ideally were all perfectly weighted, but the sad fact is that a lof of "less experienced" divers have loads of weight and not quite the same ammount of skills to deal with stuff that happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom