How best not to lose my new knife ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was given a very nice Benchmade dive knife by my son for Christmas (I must have slipped up and been a good boy this year).

110sh20y300x300.png

Since this is a much better knife than I would ever have purchased for myself, what is the best way to insure I don't loose it ?

The knife has a locking sheath, but I fear that may not be enough in cold water with gloves on. . . do you attach some sort of loop of bungee cord to the handle?

Attach a lanyard and use it when the knife is out of the sheath. Tie the lanyard to your gear when not in use and to your wrist when in use.
Be aware of where it is and check it often.
Dont put it in your carryon.

Notice that only the expensive knives get lost, while the cheap ones don't? I know this to be the case as divers on our boat only find (or bring up) the good ones. Last thing I want to be concerned about on a dive is loosing a very expensive knife. I saw the same knife in a gun shop recently so I know what it costs. While falcon125 makes some very good suggestions; mine would be to find it a place of honor in your scuba locker and leave it there. I would feel better doing that that loosing a blade that costs a hundred $+. My humble opinion.

Attach a lanyard and use it when the knife is out of the sheath. Tie the lanyard to your gear when not in use and to your wrist when in use.
Be aware of where it is and check it often.
Dont put it in your carryon.

No I would not do this. A much better method is to get some 1/8" elastic bungi material and make a loop from the handle about 7 inches long. When the knife is placed in the sheath, the bungi is pulled down to the bottom of the seath and looped over the bottom of the seath. The bungi loop is made lung enough to put constant downward pressure on the knife holding it in the seath.

No I would not do this. A much better method is to get some 1/8" elastic bungi material and make a loop from the handle about 7 inches long. When the knife is placed in the sheath, the bungi is pulled down to the bottom of the seath and looped over the bottom of the seath. The bungi loop is made lung enough to put constant downward pressure on the knife holding it in the seath.

Ding ding ding.

Excellent suggestion. We have a winner !!

Thanks much.

Ding ding ding.

Excellent suggestion. We have a winner !!

Thanks much.

And in the rare occasion when you need to remove it from the sheath, the loop goes around your wrist.

I rarely take anything diving with me that I am not comfortable coming back missing.

This is exactly what do with my wenokas, works a treat and have not lost any knives in the past 10 years.

And in the rare occasion when you need to remove it from the sheath, the loop goes around your wrist.

...in case you're not sure, make sure the loop goes around your wrist before you take it out of the sheath!

The number one technique to stop losing things in general, be it a knife a bag or anything else. Slow down, after doing that slow down some more.

Yes things happen and you do have to accept the great fact that sometimes things do get lost but, be aware of your surroundings and your movements, do you tie everything to yourself topside? no, no one does, ...then don't do it underwater either. There is more difficulty in cold water with greater thickness of gear and less sensitivity ....but adapt to it, if that is going to be your type of diving.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom