How cold will you dive wet?

How Cold Are You Comfortable Diving Wet?

• 40 F / 4 C

Votes: 69 23.9%
  • 50 F / 10 C

Votes: 102 35.3%
  • 60 F / 16 C

Votes: 52 18.0%
  • 70 F / 21 C

Votes: 28 9.7%
  • If it isn't tropical, I go dry

Votes: 38 13.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice Dive with a 7mm henderson. 22 years and I have never used a dry suit.

I've done low 40s wet before I got my drysuit. I'd do it again if needed, but I pretty much dive dry all the time now.

I've been in 44 degrees with a 7 ml farmer john layered with a 1 ml full suit underneath. Heck... the only thing that even felt cold water was my face!

Most recently, I did 46 degrees with a 3 ml full layered under a 5 ml full... didn't stay at that temp for any more than 5 minutes or so... but hung out in the low 50s up to 60 degree range routinely for dives lasting up to 51 minutes.

12 C and above is ok diving wet for me, below that is cold but bearable, anything lower than 9 C is freezing.

That's a 4/5mm Pinnacle with a core warmer underneath. I've done several dives in Lake Eries in the mid 40's to low 50's comfortably. That being said, I would much rather be dry that wet for dives like those, but it sure won't stop me from diving.

Attachments

• IMAG0005_small.jpg
    IMAG0005_small.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 48
Hmm, you "extreme wetsuit divers" are either insane, exaggerating, or both... sub 40 wet and comfy? Insane.

Maybe I'm just a wimp. I'm in the 60s category. Go dry and never go back. Wet and cold sucks. :)

-Nick

I have been in 58 degree water in a 7mm wetsuit. Never again.

Below 68 degrees I'm in a dry suit.

NSDiver:
Hmm, you "extreme wetsuit divers" are either insane, exaggerating, or both... sub 40 wet and comfy? Insane.

Maybe I'm just a wimp. I'm in the 60s category. Go dry and never go back. Wet and cold sucks. :)

-Nick

I might be insane, but I'm not exaggerating. I have quite a few witnesses, many of whom have done the same, to diving wet in Dec or Jan in 40-44 F water.

I've dived wet in 14 degrees C - it was chilly but bearable. 5mm & hood.

If I had worn my gloves I think I could have dived in water a little colder.

Back
Top Bottom