How cold will you dive wet?

How Cold Are You Comfortable Diving Wet?

• 40 F / 4 C

Votes: 69 23.9%
  • 50 F / 10 C

Votes: 102 35.3%
  • 60 F / 16 C

Votes: 52 18.0%
  • 70 F / 21 C

Votes: 28 9.7%
  • If it isn't tropical, I go dry

Votes: 38 13.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3 mm Henderson Hyperstretch on my last training in the Thousand Islands, the water was 66 degrees. We did three 90 minute dives that week end.
My instructor was wearing a dry suit with heavy insulation.
I fount it a bit chilly after an hour but not enough to call the dive.
I guess I have some of my own insulation... :wink:

Used a 3mm farmer-john in the US. Got some odd looks wearing the same in Wales in April. After two dives I was getting some really odd looks....
After that I vowed to get a drysuit - Northern Diver "Divemaster", looking forward to getting it wet next weekend!

If it's not tropical, I'm in my drysuit. So basically...I'm always in my drysuit. :wink:

Cheers,
Austin

It looks like there is a range of temps for folks and I will have to find out what my personal tolerance is.

Thanks for all the info. I feel a lot more confident that my wife and I can at least get some wet diving in while we figure out what we like/want in terms of the local area. We'll have to see if it is worth buying wetsuits, or if it is better to just save up for the drysuit.

I'll let you know after I get a drysuit!
Winter SoCal water is fine in my 7mm w/hood and gloves.

Dave

I've been to 40degrees in a 7mm semidry with a hood. I was fine, I probably could have gone colder. But then, I tend to always be warmer than everyone around me.

You should do a little research on alpine climbing btw, those guys have a ton of techniques for keeping your body temps up in sustained cold.

If the temp is in the mid 50s that's when I go dry. I've dived in upper 40s with my 7mm and survived. I prefer to be comfortable especially since this year I started dry suit diving but we all do what works best for us.

I've done less than 40F / 4C...

I have done 45F. If I had a dry suit, then I would have used it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom