How deep can u go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a maximum limit to how deep scuba can take you? I am not talking about "recommended" depths but a level under which scuba is physically useless (due to pressure or whatever factor).

Also, Does anyone know what the world record for deepest dive is?

I know someone did a 1000ft dive recently and just about got away with it.

Closed circuit rebreathing may expand this a bit but you're talking massive risks. There are absolute pressures where standard regulators would refuse to give gas but i dont think this is really an issue as other limiting factors like gas mix and so on would come into play well below that.

HPNS, O2 toxicity and a multitide of other factors are more likely to cause the physical maximum of a dive.

Do you want to come back?

The answer to this question directly affects the answer to the first question.

SeaHound:
Is there a maximum limit to how deep scuba can take you? I am not talking about "recommended" depths but a level under which scuba is physically useless (due to pressure or whatever factor).

Also, Does anyone know what the world record for deepest dive is?

Theoretically there is no limit. Realistically? Time (for deco) & $$$ involved will probably combine to set a limit of some sort.
Add to that some previous posts mentioned PO2, etc. as considerations. At *extreme* depths you'd likely be breathing mixes that had fractions of a percent of O2. Last I read the max-reached on OC was 1000ft or so.

Bottom line (no pun intended) is that sooner or later it will not be worth the $$$ or time.

Priceless, Dan, priceless . . . !!!!

The absolute physiological limit would be when the gas in your tank wouldn't even be enough to equalize the gas filled spaces in the body and you would be hurt. This is like deep, several kilometers.

2064feet

Gary D.

Gary D.:
2064feet

Gary D.

What happens at 2065 feet? It's interesting that the current record is exactly one-half of that.

There is a minimum % of 02 required in breathing gas to sustain human life. I would guess the depth limit would in part be a function of this minimum 02% compared to oxygen toxicity at depth. You can breath air down to 218' before the 02% becomes toxic (has a high risk of being toxic I should say). Forgetting about N narcosis for a moment....To go deeper than 218' you reduce the amount of 02 in the breathing gas using Helium (trimix) for example. Eventually you will not be able to shave off any more 02 yet even that small % of 02 will be toxic at that depth.

I forget what the min % is to sustain life - for some reason the 12% sticks in my head but I am not sure. I'm sure someone else knows that number.....

If you read the articles about those who have set records (1000' mark for example) they have serious health issues to contend with upon surfacing. Assuming they make it back they have tons of recompression to do, some with problems that never go away, etc.

To answer in short - you can go clear to the bottom! Coming back and living with normal health is another issue.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom