How deep is the first open water dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twicetwins

Registered
Reaction score
I have my second/last pool session today, but I'm looking ahead to the cold water ocean dive. How deep is the typical first dive? How does such a lesson work? Do we stay under for the first dive come up for the interval and go back for a second dive? how long is each portion? In the pool, we came to the surface and the instructor would tell us what we would be doing and then we'd descend and do it. I would think there wouldn't be so much ascending and descending in the ocean?

i guess it would be different for everybody but my first dive was in a quarry 50 def F at 32'. COLD.

I have my second/last pool session today, but I'm looking ahead to the cold water ocean dive. How deep is the typical first dive?
In the PADI system, assuming you are older than 15 then the maximum allowable depth for the first OW dive is 12 metres (40ft).

Typically, the depth will between somwhere between 6 and 12 meters (between 20 and 40ft).

How does such a lesson work?
On dive 1: Generally, you will start out before the dive by doing a buoyancy check. You'll descend in shallow water either via the slope of the bottom or from a short down line.

After that then you'll swim around. The instructor or one of his assistants will swim in front of the group and lead the way. Your roll will be to follow them and to (a) work on your buoyancy control (b) work on buddy contact/situational awareness and (c) just get used to the feeling of diving in these conditions.

The dive will last about 20-30 minutes depending on how fast people go through their air.

At the end of the dive you may do some skills on the surface. You may also do a second buoyancy check now that the tank is empty.

Do we stay under for the first dive come up for the interval and go back for a second dive?
yes

how long is each portion?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

In the pool, we came to the surface and the instructor would tell us what we would be doing and then we'd descend and do it. I would think there wouldn't be so much ascending and descending in the ocean?

That's correct. All of your skills in OW will be done in one long chain.

R..

Greetings twicetwins and my first question for you would be to ask what agency are you training with?
All these questions and more are usually answered after the confined water dives are completed by your instructor. When the schedule is being discussed it is common for there to be a question and answer time of sort. But by all means call or visit him or her to inquire what the plan will be. I have described just what you are asking to many students as a DM assisting in training. The reason I am not sure what to tell you exactly is some instructors do things different. What I can tell you are general facts about what I personally have been a part of. This is what I tell our students for Dive 1;
1. You will attend the briefing that will give detailed information on the dive site, conditions, entry methods, and skills you will be required to perform.
2. You will properly prepare your own equipment "set up gear".
3. You will don and adjust your equipment "put on and secure"
4. You will perform a complete under supervision predive safety check.
5. You then enter the water with the afore entry method.
6. At the surface perform a Buoyancy / weight check.
7. Use a controlled descent feet down and demonstrate control of BC inflator.
8. Then participate in underwater exploration " a tour to explore and get used to diving".
9. Perform a controlled ascent with safety stop establishing positive buoyancy at the surface.
10. Exit the water using the method described in the briefing. "Boat exit or shore I am guessing."
11. Doff your gear in a appropriate manner using safe storage skills to protect your gear and others from harm.
12. Last you will debrief and log the dive in your log book.
This dive will not exceed 40 feet and usually does not exceed 30 feet in depth. Being your first open water experience your instructor will determine what depth you will dive to. There are agency standards "max depth", that all have to follow but shallower depths are determined by the instructor using his or her judgement.
It is tough to give a time on the length of the dive but I am guessing the average would be around 30 min. give or take depending on air consumption. Usually then once everyone is out and gear taken off and stowed, the debrief can take 30 min. or more depending on questions etc. Make sure to participate in the briefing and debriefing do not be afraid to ask questions. After all that is how we learn.
Another bit of advice pay attention in the briefings and make sure you are clear on the details. It is very distracting to instructors when students are not paying attention.
Communication underwater is a very important part of the OW training and I would suggest practice above water to make sure you have mastered the correct hand signals. I practice often with my kids at the breakfast table, it is fun and like a game to them. A slate will be used in the OW training I am almost certain.
All the information I have shared is based on what training I have been a part of but if you are going through PADI OW then it should be very close. I have every confidence in other agencies as well and know they are very good about letting their students know the details of the planned training.
Just relax and enjoy the training! Let yourself visualize yourself performing the skills and diving effortlessly. Sounds hooky but it helps. So much of diving is methodical and yet very personal and very rewarding. Please give us a follow up on how your training goes.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I understand you're excited about your course and want to know the answers NOW - but there's only one person who can answer those questions accurately, and that's the guy you spent the day in the pool with, your instructor

I have my second/last pool session today, but I'm looking ahead to the cold water ocean dive.

Congrats! Welcome to the world of diving.

How deep is the typical first dive?

As a rule no more than 40'. In our OW classes we have platforms at 30' for the skills.

How does such a lesson work? Do we stay under for the first dive come up for the interval and go back for a second dive? How long is each portion?

What will happen is the instructor will brief you on the dive (as well as the skills you will be conducting), and then you will descend, conduct those skills, swim around for a bit, and then surface and discuss the dive. My understanding is that minimum duration for a dive is 20 minutes. At that point you will get out of the water, change tanks, and then do it again.

In the pool, we came to the surface and the instructor would tell us what we would be doing and then we'd descend and do it. I would think there wouldn't be so much ascending and descending in the ocean?

Pool is different from OW. Unless there's a problem you won't come up to the surface until after the dive is completed.

Mind this is from the mindset of a PADI class. Tortuga68 is absolutely correct; your best source for these answers will be your dive instructor.

Depth on the first dive depends on the agency. As mentioned above, PADI limits this first dive to 40 ft, other agencies have a depth limit of 60 ft. That doesn't mean you will dive to this limit, just that it is a possibility. The dive will be at least 15 or 20 feet deep, again, depending on agency.

Ask your instructor......

I am in a PADI program. I live about two hours from the dive center, and met my instructor just the one time earlier this week. My comfort in learning a new skill comes from having the whole picture first. I will be back up there today and will ask him questions as needed, but I don't want to annoy him with questions, especially if he will be telling us everything I asked after this pool sesson is over anyway. I was thrilled to have found this forum. I felt I could ask such questions ahead of time.

Back
Top Bottom