How did you deal with snorkel warble in current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may look into a folding snorkel as well as jamming it under my strap the snorkel I currently have is a corrugated j snorkel that when it's not in use it falls away from your mouth I like that feature I keep my strap loose enough where jamming it under the strap is an option I will try it on my next dive as all my dives from now till spring are gonna be shore dives I just dove lock 21 for like the 30th time and it never ceases to amaze me god I love all the different structures out here

I may look into a folding snorkel as well as jamming it under my strap the snorkel I currently have is a corrugated j snorkel that when it's not in use it falls away from your mouth

Actually, I did just buy a new snorkel (for snorkeling!), mainly because it was the "tester's choice" in Scuba Diving Magazine's recent review. One of the features that it has is that the barrel is elliptical instead of round, with a narrower profile facing forwards, which the reviewers say is supposed to make it less affected by current.

Here's the link.

I found my snorkel warbling and tugging in the current so I cut a cpl inches off the top wow what a difference the only thing is you have to keep your self very buoyant but my question remains what is your solution to snorkel warble
Fwiw my snorkel is a requirement and leaving it onshore is not an option also putting it in my pocket I'd also not an option

I dive with a snorkel on my mask all the time. What kind of snorkel do you have?

Also, I don't have a good image, but many freedivers hook the snorkel to the mask strap using a rubber snorkel holder which runs through the back of the mask strap (where it is split). This coniguration tends to put the the snorkel behind your head and I think the warbles will be less objectionable in this location.

It has a corrugated j it falls away from my mouth when not in use mind you I also dive in currents some as high as 5.5 knots and some places even stronger where only drifting with the current is feasible

If you stop in that current, the regulator hose and snorkel are going to be buzzing.

I found my snorkel warbling and tugging in the current so I cut a cpl inches off the top wow what a difference the only thing is you have to keep your self very buoyant but my question remains what is your solution to snorkel warble
Fwiw my snorkel is a requirement and leaving it onshore is not an option also putting it in my pocket I'd also not an option

What's a snorkel?

Yeah you don't stop but it is a lot of fun hovering five feet off the bottom dodging rocks I can only describe it as the closest I will ever get to flying without a mechanical device

Because the club I dive with will not allow you to dive without one we had enough instances over the past 30 years where the snorkel was needed in rough water waiting for the boat to come pick you up after drifting downstream I've seen me wait fifteen minutes for the boat to pick me up because we were drift diving and the boat was picking up people who were closer then we were and when your tank is down to 500 psi I stop breathing on my regular and save the rest of the air for my bc if it needs inflation or starts leaking

You do not need a snorkel for the conditions you describe. I would not loiter on the surface with my face in the water. But if you must have a snorkel and must wear it then cut the tube short and use a free diver type that is a simple J tube without all of the stupid valves and gizmos. The best solution to a problem is to remove the cause of the problem.

N

Agreed!

Unless they are shore-diving SCUBA Divers and were taught how to use one when diving over four decades ago.

Again......
or are shore diving.

I agree.
And I have zero experience diving in anything below 65f water.

Chug
Realizes your results may vary.
More than half of my dives were shore dives in less than 60° water. I haven't needed a snorkel since Reagan was President. I have found that swimming on the surface ie easier on my back rather than face down. The weight of the tank is reduced while submerged, my fins remain under water making each fin stroke more productive and there is plenty of air to breathe. In fact, it's easier to breathe in while facing the sky than sucking it through a plastic tube.

I'm with Max in wondering what the advantage of a snorkel might be. I seem to have gone for over a decade without missing it, but maybe this is a regional thing. In California we clearly do not need it. Why would it be needed anywhere?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom