How did you deal with snorkel warble in current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Littlerayray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found my snorkel warbling and tugging in the current so I cut a cpl inches off the top wow what a difference the only thing is you have to keep your self very buoyant but my question remains what is your solution to snorkel warble
Fwiw my snorkel is a requirement and leaving it onshore is not an option also putting it in my pocket I'd also not an option

Damn, I was going to say the solution is to leave it on shore :wink: Does not compute with long hose or have much use in the typically poor viz in my area.

Our of curiosity, why is it a requirement for you?

Because the club I dive with will not allow you to dive without one we had enough instances over the past 30 years where the snorkel was needed in rough water waiting for the boat to come pick you up after drifting downstream I've seen me wait fifteen minutes for the boat to pick me up because we were drift diving and the boat was picking up people who were closer then we were and when your tank is down to 500 psi I stop breathing on my regular and save the rest of the air for my bc if it needs inflation or starts leaking

If you can't leave it on shore, like most of us, then just learn to live with it.

Snorkels are a PITA for scuba divers. YMMV

Well like I said I found cutting mine so that it is a couple aprox 2.5 inches shorter greatly reduced the warble and was just wondering if anyone else had a different fix for this ever annoying problem

Because it is not readily available when you need it

---------- Post added November 5th, 2015 at 07:18 PM ----------

And I use my pockets for carrying little treasures I find

Same question. When I take it with me (most dives, not all), it is a foldable one in the pocket. It's a little clumsy to use without being attached to the mask, but it works good enough should I ever need it.

The best solution would be to find a new dive club. 500 psi should last hours on the surface, so there is really no reason to wear a snorkel unless you are snorkeling.

Back
Top Bottom