How do I find a job as a new PADI Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah yes, e-learning/touch. I know that the industry is moving in this direction. I'm not a fan because studies have shown that people retain less from reading a digital screen as opposed to paper. I'm not going to state what the charge is for the PIC, but for any PADI pro, we know it isn't much. And the materials for the books are not that much either, adding up to less to $100.

I don't know how things are in your neck of the woods, but up here, pool time is a huge expense ($110-$150/hour). Further out it drops to $60/hour, and that's what I will use if I go independent before leaving the country.

Oh I'm sorry, $96.50 plus tax that I rounded to $100. I get it, you're a super invested full koolaid idc staff instructor who has to rush to PADI's defense online.

Edit because you'll still try and say something stupid like no it doesn't cost that much.

grQRSxa.png

And pics are 23.20

Last edited:
Oh I'm sorry, $96.50 plus tax that I rounded to $100. I get it, you're a super invested full koolaid idc staff instructor who has to rush to PADI's defense online.

Edit because you'll still try and say something stupid like no it doesn't cost that much.

View attachment 420584
And pics are 23.20

That's funny, as the price that I see right now is cheaper.

You can take shots at me all you like. I try to conduct myself as professionally as possible, as childish exchanges are not beneficial to the dive industry. Feel free to continue to make incorrect assumptions, given that you have no idea what my situation is, nor my long term plans.

That's funny, as the price that I see right now is cheaper.

You can take shots at me all you like. I try to conduct myself as professionally as possible, as childish exchanges are not beneficial to the dive industry. Feel free to continue to make incorrect assumptions, given that you have no idea what my situation is, nor my long term plans.
Childish is maintaining an argument after being proven wrong twice and off handedly dismissing each proof with "I don't believe in e-learning" and "well I see a cheaper price"

Childish is maintaining an argument after being proven wrong twice and off handedly dismissing each proof with "I don't believe in e-learning" and "well I see a cheaper price"

I'm actually looking at the PADI pro site and for the items you listed, I am seeing lower prices. But I can see this is going to be pointless, so.....

On the E Learning front I find it depends on age. As an older guy I prefer reading on paper the younger generation (or just people that are really plugged in) reads better and is more likely to actually read it on a screen. This has been the same ever since E Learning came out on CD

I've undertaken 3 E Learning's now, I still prefer the that I can refer to rather than the Electronic site. The E version of the text book isn't the best and easiest to read. That said it's easier to get updates as the manuals are revised (or should be).

I.e once you've brought the E publication you shoudl be entitled to access the it indefinitely including the revised versions.

My one beef - it that for a publishing company the actual basic standard of the E leaning material is very bad: For example

There are a huge amount of spelling and grammar errors - lack of proof reading. My "favourite" it the RDP section of the DM course where the text gives teh correct answer to the question, but the picture has the wrong answer highlighted. Basic stuff

The Audio recording isn't the best either. Now because I've trained as an audio engineer I may notice more than others. but its not clear and certainly suffers from echo's - Individual on You tube have better Audio and they don't have the money that PADI do.

Finally keeping it updated. The English Divemaster course doesn't include Re activate (it's in the standards and manuals) The answer I was given is that the DM course is being re-written and it will be revised at that time.

Unacceptable!

If you are rolling out new standards and procedures you update the training materials at the same time - especially E materials which are downloadable. It's not like you need to make a whole new print run

This is call Document co-ordination or Doc Control. It's used everywhere.

I used to have to write inspection procedures, technical bulletins and technical courses. If we changed something each document would have to be updated before the issue of any one (or a temporary addendum issued) If my proof reading was as bad as PADI with as many errors then the FAA and CAA would have been on my case.

I think the concept of E learning is fantastic I'm just disappointed at the execution

Pretty sure it's not that hard. Have you tried individual training? I think there are a lot of people who are actually prefer individual instructor rather than group or something.

Regards,
Margaret - coursework writing tips

I'm actually looking at the PADI pro site and for the items you listed, I am seeing lower prices. But I can see this is going to be pointless, so.....

Pricing is different for different instructors. I'm willing to bet your pricing is a little better because you're IDC Staff. My pricing, as a lowly OWSI, is the same as what blac86 shows.

I could work on upgrading to IDC Staff, but I'm not convinced saving a few bucks on materials would justify the expense and time involved.

I'm guessing by taking a MSDT course, acording to you it's better then working in a bussy dive center for 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom