How do I make sure my Gopro is 100% waterproof?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crab4life

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, my brand new gopro just arrived, and I am anxious to hop in the pool and try it out. My question is how can I make sure it is 100% waterproof and will stay that way, before I go dunk it in the water. I had a Hero 2 I thought was nice and tight and the top popped open and it flooded. I was still able to save it but I will not be happy if my new camera gets wet.

Make sure you have the waterproof back on it and that it snaps shut... That's about it. Do it a few times without the camera to make sure you've got it down.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The new Go-Pro housings, both the 3 and the 3 plus, have a much improved latch design. Test the housing empty and put some colored tissue paper inside which will turn darker if any water penetrates..

Are you worried about verifying your ability to properly close the housing or trying to check that the housing is not damaged?

For the first i have a habit of pausing for a moment (take a deep breath or 2, no rush) after closing the housing to double check the latch and to perform a visual inspection looking for things caught in the seal.

Checking housing integrity is a little tougher. Colored tissue is a great moisture detector. A sink is not deep enough. A pool is not deep enough. A lead weight and a 150 foot rope can be used if you can find deep water. Or you can use a pressure chamber. You can find instructions for home made pressure chambers (based on house hold water filters from home depot) via google.

Back
Top Bottom