How do you attach your octopus to your bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 1/4" strip of bicycle innertube, do a loop similar to Msilva's picture and put the mouthpiece through there. I've found that it works the best of any method that I've tried, plus it's going to give (or break) if I really need access to the octo or someone sneaks up on me and grabs it. I keep multiple strips around the end of my webbing so if one breaks (which the first one has yet to do) I can switch it out underwater if need be.

Cut the tie wrap off of the mouthpiece, place a new one in position, but before tightening, slip the ends of an 1/8" bungee under it. The cut ends should be on the top at about 10 and 2. snug the tie wrap to hold the bungee in place, adjust to the length you need, tie a knot in each end, then crank the wrap down good and tight. done.

I use a one of the two straps that go around the mouthpiece with the bungie tightener. It's ok and works better than anything else I have tried. It does come loose on occasion and is impossible to restow if you decide to practice with a buddy. I added a small boltsnap to it so I can clip it off to the d-ring if it comes loose. If you use an oring on the boltsnap it should still break away in an emergency.

I used to have a piece of surgical tubing zip tied into a loop. That broke. So I looked around on the beach and found some bungee (from a washed up lobster trap, welcome to Maine!) and used hog rings to make a little loop out of that. It's simple and has stood up to over 100 dives. And it was free. I'll keep that till I get on the long hose.

I have a little velcro chingus that ties around the octo and plugs into another little velcro kajigger with a plastic hook on the end. Sometimes you have to tug quite insistintly to get it loose, cetacea makes it

Taxgeek:
I have now tried two different Octo tethers, and neither stays put. The first is the little plastic dealie that the mouthpiece of the octo fits snugly into. The second is the kind with webbing straps and a stretchy elastic band that goes around the throat of the octo mouthpiece. Both come off for me on a regular dive.

Has anybody found a system that actually stays put?
Thanks!
Taxgeek

I've searched the forums, but couldn't find a thread - if there already is one, I'd love a link.

300bar diver:
For me the best one so far it uses two magnets
when it comes loose just hold it close and it will
reattache:D

That's tight, who makes that?

Back
Top Bottom