How do you attach your reel to your DSMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

android

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have room to store them together, so I don't want to have to mess with tying and un-tying every time.
It's looks like there are a variety of options:

clip on the SMB
clip on the end of the line
Something I haven't thought of?

I have a Buddy pocket reel which has a loop and large O ring and the end of the line.

Do you use a backplate or transpac type harness? I do have that reel and when using it pre-attached i have two bungee loops on the bottom of my plate which the SMB goes through and have the reel clipped to a d ring on right hip. It all stays close to the body and if the smb should com eloose i wont lose it. I dont have a can light there so nothing to interfear with

I have my reel and SMB stowed seperately (clipped to BC/harness depending on the config).
I have a pistolclip (i think thats the english word for it...one of those where you have a "nob" to pull the "collumn" into the body of the clip) attached on the end of my reel-line and another one at the base of my SMB. When I want to shoot my SMB i just pull out the desired length of line (and secure it), clip the clips together and inflate my SMB.

It´s simple, easy and leaves my reel free for use until I use it to shoot the SMB (if I choose to).

android:
I don't have room to store them together, so I don't want to have to mess with tying and un-tying every time.
It's looks like there are a variety of options:

clip on the SMB
clip on the end of the line
Something I haven't thought of?

I have a Buddy pocket reel which has a loop and large O ring and the end of the line.

I have a ring on the dsmb and a boltsnap on the end of the line. when I want to deploy I attach the boltsnap to the ring. Is that what you're talking about?

R..

Yes, I just wanted to know which was the most prevalent setup. Sounds like a boltsnap on the line is pretty common. I also like Grazie's arrangement which would allow you to snap the SMB to something else if needed.

I have a spool, not a reel, dedicated to & preloaded on my SMB. The loop on the end of the line is fed thru the ring attached to the SMB and back over the spool. I have a double ender clipped thru the spool that holds the line.

What detroit diver said. A common method is a "snoopy loop", where you have a large loop tied in the end of the line, with a smaller knotted loop on the tip of that loop if you stretched the loop out in a straight line. You pass the end of the loop through a webbing loop, d-ring, or whatever you have on the SMB, open the loop, pass the spool through the loop, then pull it tight. This way it can't accidently unclip on the way to the surface. You use the smaller loop (sounds like you could use your o-ring for the same thing) to pull the loop open and unthread it when you're done.

Pictures really help in explaining this.

I carry the bag bungied on the bottom of the backplate and clip the reel to the right waist D-ring as the deco bottle is on the left. I use an OMS Phantom light on the side of the backplate so there is no light cannister light in the way. The reel has a bolt snap attached to the loop on the line.

I also have a locking carabiner clipped to the bag which allows it to be clipped to something else and functions as a nifty deployment handle. Sort of like a BOC pilot chute on a parachute. There is zero confusion and no fumbling to find or deploy the bag even in zero viz in cold water with heavy dry suit gloves.

The "locking" part of the carabiner is important to prevent snags and if you roll the bag from bottom to top with the carabiner attached it stays close to the bag and does not flop around. The bolt snap on the end of the reel is redundant as the loop method would work equally well but old habits die hard.

Thanks, no pictures required for the snoop loop. It's obvious and the line was already set up this way. I now see how you avoid a boltsnap on the end of the line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom