How do you breathe under water? Any Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lespaulsf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok so I'm a new diver with only 12 or so dives under my belt. I run out of air faster than all my dive buddies but I think it's more than just being a new diver. I think I might be breathing wrong. I take slow deep breaths and then let them out somewhat fast. I try to slow it down but then I feel like I'm cutting myself short with not enough oxygen. So my question is when you breath how do you do it. Regular like when your out of the water or deep and slow?

On another topic, maybe related or not so much but sometimes I hear a very high pitched whining sound sometimes when I'm diving. I thought it was my mask maybe so when blow through my nose sometimes the high pitched sound will go away but then sometimes it doesn't after blowing through my nose.

Deep, slow breaths. Breathing shallow and fast not only burns gas faster, it doesn't adequately clear the CO2 from your airways and you're not getting the full benefit from breathing, which in turn makes you breathe harder, which burns up more gas.

5 seconds in, 5 seconds out. pause. 5 seconds in, 5 seconds out (roughly)

also, work on your streamlinging and buoyancy, this makes a HUGE difference as I recently found out (read : http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...48-trim-really-does-help-air-consumption.html )

lastly, make sure you're not overweighted. meaning that you have just enough weight to maintain a safety stop with 500 psi left if your tank without floating up. any excess weight needs to go.

try these for 10 dives or so and you might even cut your consumption by a third. maybe more!

hope it helps :D

I think I might be breathing wrong. I take slow deep breaths and then let them out somewhat fast. I try to slow it down but then I feel like I'm cutting myself short with not enough oxygen. So my question is when you breath how do you do it. Regular like when your out of the water or deep and slow?
You're breathing wrong.

Breathe in slowly and deeply ... take 3 or 4 seconds to breathe in. Breathe out about twice as slowly as you breathe in.

You're getting plenty of oxygen ... keep in mind that it's not the lack of oxygen that is causing you to want to take the next breath ... it's the buildup of carbon dioxide (the waste product created as oxygen gets metabolised in your body). Breathing out slowly helps rid your body of that carbon dioxide ... making you feel less "starved" for that next breath. Breathing out quickly doesn't allow your body sufficient time to remove the CO2 that's being collected in your lungs, and over time you feel more and more like you "can't get enough air". Slow that exhale down and watch what happens to your gas consumption rate.

Also keep in mind that new divers typically have a high consumption rate. That's generally because you're working hard. Try slowing down, minimizing your movements through the water, adjusting your weighting (do a weight check periodically, new divers tend to carry more lead than they really need), and working on your trim (swimming horizontally reduces the need to push a lot of heavy water out of your way as you dive). The less hard you work, the less CO2 you will produce ... and this will also impact your need to breathe so hard.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Another tip: Try practicing this slow, deep breathing on land. When you're at your desk or driving or as you fall asleep, take slow deep breaths.

Also, most folks try deep breaths by puffing their chests out. Instead, try to consciously use your diaphragm. Push your abdomen out. That will allow for better ventilation of your lower lung spaces.

What you're looking for is a slow, rhythmic, even inhalation and exhalation. We always say, "Take slow, deep breaths," but I've discovered while working with students in the pool that, if you're a big guy and you do this, the buoyancy swings from very full lungs can be unnerving at best! What you want to do is take very slightly larger than usual breaths, and exhale a little more than you do at the surface, but not a lot -- and take your time doing this.

But as has already been said, new divers look at their high gas consumption and immediately assume it's because they don't breathe properly. Some of it is -- the nervousness of being new tends to cause people to take shallow, quick breaths, which is very wasteful of gas. But a lot of the consumption issues are because new divers are inefficient divers, and efficiency is where it's at for maximizing bottom time on a given amount of gas.

So how do you become efficient? First off, get properly weighted. Being overweighted leads to difficulties with buoyancy control and a lot of yo-yoing, which causes stress (faster breathing) and wastes gas in inflating and deflating the BC.

Get horizontal. This may involve moving some of your weight around -- usually up onto your back in some fashion, using trim pockets if your BC has them, or camband weight pouches, or tank weights. If you are feet down, as many new divers are, then each time you kick, you drive yourself upwards. In order to avoid ascending, you have to keep yourself negative. So each kick wastes a certain amount of energy that results in no net displacement at all! Being horizontal means that all your kicking energy MOVES you where you want to go.

Don't swim with your hands. Hands move very little water; they aren't an efficient way to move yourself around. New divers often make extensive use of their hands, because they feel out of balance. Learn to correct your balance with your fins. (Gear that is properly adjusted helps a lot with this, because keeping the tank in the center of your back makes balancing much easier.)

Move slowly. This is sometimes difficult for new divers, because the slower you move, the better your balance has to be. You can make up for deviations from neutral buoyancy if you swim; when you stop, you sink or rise. Fix the buoyancy, so you don't need to swim constantly. If you are interested in marine life, you will see far more of it if you go slowly. Camouflage is one of the biggest survival strategies in the sea, and it's easy to swim right past some of the most interesting animals, if you're moving too fast.

And finally, go diving a lot. It takes most people some time to feel solid enough to really relax in the water, and relaxation is the final key to good gas consumption.

As you can see, changing your breathing wasn't even mentioned in the list, because it generally fixes itself as you fix the other things.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I have experienced the vertical issue of if I so call let go then I will be in a vertical position instead of horizontal. Although all the BC's I have tried so far don't have trim weights. I think that I might be using to much weight also. I'm skinny guy of so I think I might be using to much weight like some of you mentioned.

I think the best advice someone ever gave to me was :

get comfortable. all the problems will resolve themselves.

Oh and being horizontal has nothing to do with your BC. rather its about weight distribution on your body and BC with trim pockets will make no difference.

do a quick search on trim on this forum and you'll see what I mean.

Also, backplate and wing! no jacket BC! Shun the jacket BC! Burn it at the stake! Kill kill kill kill killlllllllllllllllllll!

Ahem. *straightens tie, gets back to work*

Ok so I'm a new diver with only 12 or so dives under my belt. I run out of air faster than all my dive buddies but I think it's more than just being a new diver. I think I might be breathing wrong. I take slow deep breaths and then let them out somewhat fast. I try to slow it down but then I feel like I'm cutting myself short with not enough oxygen. So my question is when you breath how do you do it. Regular like when your out of the water or deep and slow?

On another topic, maybe related or not so much but sometimes I hear a very high pitched whining sound sometimes when I'm diving. I thought it was my mask maybe so when blow through my nose sometimes the high pitched sound will go away but then sometimes it doesn't after blowing through my nose.
lespaulsf,

First - congrats on being a new diver.

That being said you're doing great as a diver as you already recognize the importance of good air consumption and you're asking questions.

I won't add anything to the already good suggestions you've received. What I would say is I would read them over and over, dive as much as you can and try apply the suggestions.

I had an air consumption issue even after correcting my trim and becoming very relaxed in the water. My issue was all due to bad breathing technique. I tended to puff out the chest rather than use the diaphragm. This created the big exhale and feeling starved for air as you described. What we're looking for is the slow exhale with little bubbles.

When I started DM training my instructor emphasized that I needed to work on my consumption because no diver wants a DM who runs out of air first. He had me follow the above suggestion about 4 seconds in, 5 seconds out. I practiced this while at my desk working each day, I practiced it while watching tv, I practiced while going to sleep each night.......all this effort has paid off and it will pay off for you as well.

In fact, last week I had dives of 45ft in mod current for an hour and was back on the boat with 800 psi.....several other shallower dives for an hour and coming up with 1200 to 1600 psi......this for a person who was always the first to run out of air.

In fact, just last May in Kona I came up from a dive first, when the DM later got back on the boat he yelled across to me ' you really go a breathing problem don't you!'....that was a little embarrassing and I thanked the DM for letting the whole boat know but I was also determined to do something about it.

So, as bad as I was I can personally testify that a few changes in breathing technique can go a long way.

Good diving to you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom