How do you clean your equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merci to all of you who answered my questions. Ill keep you informed if I have any problems washing and drying the gear.

A bientôt! (ciao) :)

Originally posted by turnerjd
I think that you can safely wash this. If you are worried, just put the reg back on a tank, and open the tank valve.

I think that the Titan doesn't have the same bleed system as the sherwoods, and that there is a diaphragm inside the first stage to keep the water away from the working bits. This hole is, as far as I know, just for the water to get in to the diaphragm.

Jon T

Hate me if you must, but with the cost of this gear - I hope storage is merely something that is done on the way to and from the water... I personally hang stuff on my closet door and let it dry overnight, I know this will not last for ever, but so far it works...

One more tip btw -
I use silicon grease on all metal surfaces that are hard to get to - such as knives, snips, clips - this keep them from rusting - and naturally, spray your fins with silicone in the foot pocket...

And another note to Jon T - special characters can be located under accessories and system tools - you will find the keyboard shortcut for ôÔ and ¢ as well - happy typing...

Anyway - better go figure out what to dive tomorrow...
Have a great one and donøt drift too far...
Terkel

hey guys,

i have been trying to figure out how to efficiently dry the insides of my bc's air bag. i have a back inflated bc with 2 dump valves (1 rear and 1 where the inflator connects to the bc) so what i have been doing so far is to unscrew both and hang the bc upside down, hoping that what little air circulation there might be, will dry the insides of the bc.

1. am i doing it wrongly?
2. is there a better way of drying the insides of the bc?
3. should i even bother at all as long as i store it half inflated?

thanks all

tomcat

Tomcat,

With your BC, just inflate the bladder and let it dry. You will have no problems.

If you guys can get a hold of them, use Milk crates. They are perfect for boat dives and with all the hole, perfect for rinsing gear while still in the box. And if you want to be really cool, you stack two together and make yourself a backpack :)

Eric

ericfine50

just so that i understand you completely, what you are saying is that it doesn't matter whether the insides of the air bags are dry or not?

thanks!

By having the wings inflated, they will dry out. If you are afraid of what grows inside the bladder, you can wash it out with that BC Cleaner stuff once a year
Eric

Any idea what that BC cleaner is comprised of? Would a mild solution of detergent and bleach do the job, or would it have any effect on the material?

Jack

eric,

thanks for clarification. but it seems that one would then have to repeat several inflate/dry/deflate cycles in order to get all the water out. without doing so, there is no way that the evaporated water can escape, thus putting a limit on how much more water will dry.

that brings us back to my previous query, is there a more efficient way of doing this?

tomcat

...to make sure it dry complete...but if you ever want to use it again, your basically out of luck!

Seriously, according to our repair techs in our shop, vinager and fresh water rinse is the best thing to do for your BC before you store it. Get as much water out of the bladder as you can (take off the dump valves if you have to), then inflate it half way. The vinegar residue that is left in the bladder (along with the tiny bit of fresh water) will keep the inside from mildewing or corroding. Since the bladder is inflated, the insides of the bladder are not touching, which will also keep it in good shape. But, the key thing is vinegar...it will kill anything, apparently! (our repair shop always smells like they are coloring easter eggs...or am I the only one that associates vinegar with easter???)

No matter how you store it, you should still get it checked out by a certified repair tech before you use you BC again, after a long time in storage. Just to be safe.

Sorry if this is kind of a dumb question, but I was wondering about how long it took everyone to clean their gear after a day of diving.

I just recently bought all my gear, and I am very interested in keeping it in good condition for quite some time.

In our OW class, we were shown how to clean our gear - slosh fresh water around in the BCD bladder and drain a few times, rinse/soak our regulators, rinse our wetsuits and everything else, etc.

I overheard a DM telling someone that he spends over an hour cleaning his gear after each dive - but I don't think I come very close to that as far as time spent cleaning my gear. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be spending that much time on it?
I rinse out the bladder of my BC about 4-5 times, try to rinse the salt off my reg and soak it for a bit, rinse my wetsuit, spray off my fins, mask, etc. - what part of this process takes so long?

Any input is appreciated. If I'm doing something wrong, I'd like to correct it before I really mess up my gear. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom