How do you deal with derision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shakehead: Dude, I can't figure out what version of Google Translate you are using...

OP and all those others feeling the same way. My view MEHH who cares? --seriously
For gosh sakes unless we are diving as a career choice we are ALL diveing for fun/enjoyment/relaxation so gives a toss what gear another diver is wearing/using.
WITH THE SOLE EXCEPTION BEING- if you are expected to buddy with that diver. That is only a question of establishing mutual comfort in emergency procedures.

6'3 and 280 (yeah I'm working on it...)
For some reason I've always been one of those guys who looks far meaner than I really am.

Most derision seems to be expressed after I leave the room.

The stroke term, while harsh sounding now, did have a justifiable use when it was coined.
this was in a different time..the mid nineties....it was used in the realm of deep cave and deep air ocean dives, and back then, the big training agencies involved with this were doing a terrible job. Divers with terrible ideas on what constittuted good diving practices, would walk around like they thought they were gods because thast had dived deep...and would pontificate to others about the way that they dive.....they were very unsafe people to listen to, as their ideas were so faulty, and diving with them would be worse....They liked "stroking" their own egos far more than any search for what was op[timal in diving. The term Stroke, became a way to differentiate tech or cave divers, in a attempt to avoid hurting your chances of surviving these early tech dives.

Thank You for explaining the origin of the term "stroke".

I think that excessive ego is the greatest single enemy of dive safety. Regardless of certification agency, instructor, affiliation, whatever, once you know everything, there is no more to be learned and no better way to dive than what you are currently doing. That thinking rather limits progress. I believe that as divers we can learn from each other and should strive to do so. I am not a tech diver ( I was trained PADI) but would consider a GUE Fundies or UTD course if this was my inclination. OTOH, if it is not my personal choice for tech agency who am I to judge that these groups are wrong or that DIR is not the way to go? Maybe diving should be more laissez faire, especially if you are selling to divers. If Leejnd wanted bolt snaps made from gold, it would be appropriate and honest to recommend a better material. However, if she prefers gold then the dive shop better start looking for a supplier to special order them for her. Otherwise, next year when she gives up diving and rides by on her top of the line expensive mountain bike, sports car or Harley the shop owner will have to be content with complaining how much better it was selling gear years ago than receiving more money from a motivated, satisfied customer like Leejnd! Is there so much profit in running a dive shop that you can afford to offend customers? :shakehead:

jm, that's a great post. If my original LDS had focused on making money by selling me the things I wanted, instead of giving me grief for wanting them, I would have stayed there longer than I did. (Unlimited Nitrox for one low, yearly price was not something they were willing to compete on, and was definitely enough to lure me to a shop that not only provided that, and cheap helium, but also didn't think anything I was doing was bizarre, except for maybe taking DIR classes.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom