How do you deal with derision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fundies >short for GUE's course Fundementals

Also:

fundies.jpg

I'm just curious what y'all say and do when you run into this type of reaction.

I'm not a DIR diver, but...you might want to consider "flying a kite." :D
(And I mean this in the most good-natured, respectful way)

As GUE's honorary Strokes-Person, I have a suggestion. If you want to learn how people learn to handle constant derision, just ask any PADI instructor here on ScubaBoard! :rofl3: You guys don't get near the derision that they get!

NetDoc could be right on this one. In such a case, the correct response to derision (based upon an analysis of hundreds of NetDoc posts) is:

Spoken like someone who has never (tried|done|learned|etc.) [insert topic of conversation here]!​

:)

NetDoc could be right on this one. In such a case, the correct response to derision (based upon an analysis of hundreds of NetDoc posts) is:

Spoken like someone who has never (tried|done|learned|etc.) [insert topic of conversation here]!​

:)

Well that fits for just about any circumstance I can think of! :D

hey good catch! But considering his tanks are also upside down, it's not surprising...

More seriously, if it is great to see every one diving together, personally I wouldn't know how to dive with a rebreather diver (assuming there is any thing special) even for rec. diving.
Might be some good thing to investigate.
How to dive with a rebreather diver ... well, Josh and I have been down to about 220 fsw together. What it took was for me to understand at a basic level how his equipment worked, what the emergency protocols would be, and how they're different from mine, and some variations in gas planning ... basically I had to carry an extra bailout bottle in addition to my usual deco bottles.

Or, just do like we did on our first dive together after he got his meg ... dive in water so shallow that your bailout plan amounts to "stand up" ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As GUE's honorary Strokes-Person, I have a suggestion. If you want to learn how people learn to handle constant derision, just ask any PADI instructor here on ScubaBoard! :rofl3: You guys don't get near the derision that they get!
I think in both cases the derision comes from only a handful of people ... and they're predictable in that no matter what the topic, they'll find a way to interject their derision into it somehow.

It gets real tiresome after a while ... whether it's directed at PADI or DIR. What's even more tiresome is when it comes from so-called "professionals" who clearly haven't a freak'n clue what they're talking about. And in that respect, you'll hear way more PADI instructors deriding DIR than you will the other way around. The I2I forum recently is a perfect example ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And in that respect, you'll hear way more PADI instructors deriding DIR than you will the other way around. The I2I forum recently is a perfect example ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
This is like saying you're comfortable with your head in the oven and feet on ice. There are way more padi instructors than DIR divers. Thanks for stating the obvious ;-)

There are way more padi instructors than DIR divers.

... not on ScubaBoard ... which is the context of my comments ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Leejnd - Part of your problem may be that some of those guys have no idea what half the words you use mean. They are still trying to figure out if their regs are used to breath or breathe.

:wink:

I can confirm the "marine grade" (yes, I am sure I bought marine grade) bolt snaps from Lowes and Home Depot don't have SS springs - or at least those I bought a few yrs back didn't. All 3 springs rusted out.

There isn't much to do or dwell. It simply business the shop offers there services they're either suitable or not. Always know there are alternatives. If you can't find it there search else where. If you'll need to use nitrox. Is it that necessary for you to give business to someone that won't appreciate it.

In the business industry you buy where it a benefit for you and give the business to whom will give you customer service. Besides! You can research online and get anything you need. Or ask the GUE offering the course where to get the materials you need. After all they offer the course, likewise; many questioned for the same items or product.

Enjoy the course!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom