How do YOU hold your 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattroz:
But he's also saying that we shouldn't cover the faceplate any other time either so the updated question doesn't really fit
So.. Im on this pier and about to enter the water.. I have my mask on and my regulator in my mouth. Im gonna use one hand to cover the back of my head and the other hand to hold my regulator and my mask in place.. Now how was it I was gonna do that without covering the purge valve? With duct tape?

Tigerman:
So.. Im on this pier and about to enter the water.. I have my mask on and my regulator in my mouth. Im gonna use one hand to cover the back of my head and the other hand to hold my regulator and my mask in place.. Now how was it I was gonna do that without covering the purge valve? With duct tape?
The question was when offering the reg to another diver.

I would not enter off a pier with a regulator in my mouth. There have been several embolisms that way. A little Air in the floatation device, anything loose tucked into your arm pits. One hand on the weightbelt buckle and one on the mask.

Thalassamania:
The question was when offering the reg to another diver.

I would not enter off a pier with a regulator in my mouth. There have been several embolisms that way. A little Air in the floatation device, anything loose tucked into your arm pits. One hand on the weightbelt buckle and one on the mask.
Whats taught is actually to have air in the bcd, one hand on the back of your head to cover it from the tank/valve/whatever and the other hand holding your regulator IN YOUR MOUTH and the mask on your face..
The question was also infact "how do your hold your 2nd stage" not specifying when..
[/offtopic]

Johnny H

I'm interested in the mechanics of switching regs during tech diving valve drills. Do you grasp the necklace reg the same way and then hit the purge after it's in your mouth? I would think of this as a complication.

I see value in the practice, but I wouldn't do it myself. A person trained to always grab it by the hose would grab my hand instead of palming the donated reg and purging when needed. I guess it works both ways here.

Bottom line is that it's your fish tank and if someone wants to dive in it they need to wear their fins on their hands if you tell them to.

I would think a buddy breathing ascent would be far more difficult, as well as more dangerous because of the possibility of breath holding while ascending.

Please feel free to explain it to me if I have it wrong, I'm NOT as experienced as you.

JeffG I think I'm climbing in the boat with you and I call BS. Post # 80 has the OP claiming to doing a single hose BB ascent with a diver that had never done it as a point to how to hold your reg. My question.... where was his AAS and why didn't he use it?
And if it his "pool" he needs help with reg maintenence

Scuba and Dream:
Is this thread for real?
No. Children and trolls ... children and trolls.

Thalassamania:
No. Children and trolls ... children and trolls.
Children and trolls tell the truth...
oh, wait.. was that children and drunk people?

You can't handle the truth! Colonel Jessup

Meister481:
I'm interested in the mechanics of switching regs during tech diving valve drills. Do you grasp the necklace reg the same way and then hit the purge after it's in your mouth? I would think of this as a complication.

Back up reg is purged to ensure it is operational before shuting down the right post.

I'm trying to figure out why this thread has gone on as far as it has. It is clear that when donating you grab the hose close to the second stage and present it to the OOG diver in an orientation that 1) will not free flow and 2) is easily accepted with the faceplate unobstructed so that it is easily purgeable by the OOG diver. How you handle a regulator when inserting it into your own mouth is really irrelevant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom